Tips

Check here to keep abreast of FSAirlines updates.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Tips

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Create a flight with each of the aircraft which you are type rated on, switch on the landing lights then save the flight. Next time you take the aircraft, you will not forget about the landing lights on for take-off. Once you are more familiar with FlyNET you may wish to revert to a 'proper' saved flight with lights off and use the checklist to make sure you switch the lights on prior to take-off.

Rgds

John

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

I'm afraid that won't work on the Argosy or 748 as they have non standard switchery for the landing lights, saved flights will always commence with the switches OFF :roll:

Fraser

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

At the time these classic aircraft wer flying well the time period you are talking about landing lights were not used like they are today.

Aircraft were comming and going and only using their lights at night.

I only use my lights at night as that is how it was done then.

Maybe it had become standard at larger airports but it was not blanket.

Anyway pilots should learn to turn everything on from cold if they want to fly VA.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Tonks wrote:I see you get "points deducted" if you have the landing lights on above 10000' ? To be honest, in the VC10, if you still have them on above about 1500' to 3000' you will have knackered them as you will probably be above the max speed for them. Once the Flaps have started travelling you are through the max speed of 202 kts... seems an odd thing to use as a "bench mark" of performance...

Tonks :think:
Thanks for the input. The FlyNET programme is still under constant development and they are open to suggestions/improvements etc. I am sure they can come up with other 'benchmarks' to measure a pilot's performance as long as it can be 'coded' in the programme.

Rgds

John

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Tonks wrote:I see you get "points deducted" if you have the landing lights on above 10000' ? To be honest, in the VC10, if you still have them on above about 1500' to 3000' you will have knackered them as you will probably be above the max speed for them. Once the Flaps have started travelling you are through the max speed of 202 kts... seems an odd thing to use as a "bench mark" of performance...

Tonks :think:
I would imagine the system is based around modern airliners though, most of which would have flush landing lights.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Indeed. The first 'modern' aircraft that comes to mind with landing lights that lower down is the 737-300 or any 737 classic for that matter.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Tonks wrote:Quite a few have the landing lights on the gear legs... the VC10 has flush "turnoff" lights that are left on until 10000' for high vis... or higher if required.

Tonks :smile:
I guess the intention is for some sort of 'collision avoidance' bright light. Not sure what reg's are, whether there is an actual rule for this sort of thing ? I guess the landing light on is a 'mimic' for your equivalent 'turn-off' light. Is it in your reg's/standing orders that these stay on at all times below 10,000ft ?

Rgds

John

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

I know its the same in the UK as in theStates - Within Terminal manuevring areas BELOW 10000 agl is the requirement - otherwise you would have ALOT of GA aircraft flying around with there landing lights on - it is of course for
ease of indentification in high traffic areas - going to go through ALOT of light bulbs flying the DC3/Budgie/Dive around the UK folks

John why dont you chat to these people and tell them from a real world point of view this doesnt fly - as I said if they want to make it below 10000 and within class B airspace that might work

Leif

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Sorry, missed this whole thing, but the requirement as it stands now for landing lights is -

OFF ABOVE 10,000 feet.

ON BELOW 1,000 feet.

Between 1,000 feet and 10,000 feet it's your descretion as to what state your landing lights are in, but above 10,000 or below 1000, the lights must be as described.

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Thank you for clarifying that Chris - think Ill go RTFM :worried:
that makes much more sense

Leif