Nick Blacks' Brize scenery

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Nick Blacks' Brize scenery

Post by Chris558 »

Hello, Good people of FS!

Just installed this (2006 version) and I have to say that, although my PC is in need of a kick up the Jacksie, the FPS are on average down to 5!!! - You just can't fly, it keeps freezing and the textures keep re-loading. Don't get me wrong, it's got great detail, but maybe a little too much.

I have virtually no probs with the 'British Airports' Brize, and I'm perfectly happy with that, but I just thought that as Nick Blacks' comes with AI as standard, I'd give it a go.

So I'm just wondering if anybody suffers with this, and what the general feeling is, please chaps... :think:

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

I installed a previous version but had to remove it for the same reason. I don't remember the frame rates I got but they were very low. Easily the biggest frame rate hit I've seen from any scenery.

OK my system is not great now Pentium 2.5, 1 gb ram and an FX5200 card with 256 mb.

It looked good in the resulting slide show though.

Jon

RAF_Pegasus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by RAF_Pegasus »

S! Gents

Nick Black's new Brize Scenery v4(2004), is certainly very detailed, and if you are also using the AI that came with the scenery, then there is indeed a great deal going on, and this is bound to have an impact on fps.

Have never had any lock-ups, or textures constantly reloading, but must confess to having to make a compromise between flying or just sitting on apron watching the AI.

If just sitting on apron can have everything just about max'ed out with AI on full, however, if flying in or around Brize then have to cut back my settings, traffic, detail, weather, visibility etc.

If you don't mind loosing some of the detail, you can reduce the .bgl's in the scenery folder, which will greatly improve your fps.

The following .bgl's can be removed and stored in another folder eg "unused bgls"
Trees 2004.bgl
Trees 2004_exc1.bgl
Fences 2004.bgl
Fences 2004_exc1.bgl
aircraft FS2004.bgl
aircraft FS2004_exc1.bgl
Try removing some or all to see if that improves your fps.

Good luck, hope it works and you can better enjoy this great scenery.

Regards
John
Like all humans, my brain is composed of two halves, however ...
The left side has nothing right with it, and the right side has nothing left in it.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Tree's normally kill it for me and these are the first to go (with any scenery.. not just Nick's).

Follow John's list there Chris and you should be able to get a very reasonable framerate. Take em out one by one and see how it goes then stop when you're happy :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Thanks guys, But I WANT IT ALL, AND I WANT IT NOW!! :brick::lol:

There will come a time when PC's get so powerful and fast, that we won't need to worry about such things, i guess.

But I do need to upgrade mine, as my lovely Andover (c/o Mr Piper) seems to be the only model hit hard in terms of - not so much reduced FPS - but freezing up.

Roll on Technology...

andy

Post by andy »

Chris558 wrote:There will come a time when PC's get so powerful and fast, that we won't need to worry about such things, i guess.
Dream on Chris...........................The more powerful your system gets, the more we can put in to slow it down. :smile: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nickblack
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by nickblack »

Guys

Much appreciate your comment son this scenery. I do know of the massive frame rate hits my scenery creates, my old PC, which is the one I developed it on suffered greatly from it, but in order to get all the detail I wanted to get in I ran it as it was, realising that many people out there would get much better frame rates than me. That is why I created the seperate .bgls to allow people to limit the damage. Unfortunately the scenery was created with limited knowledge from myself, (I was learning as I did it) and with limited freeware programs. Its the best I could do and I wanted to release it so that people could use it if they wanted. I couldn't test it on other systems etc. I could understand a winge about it if it was payware and in which case I wouldve had to do alot of beta testing.

All comments are greatly appreciated and I'm very happy that my scenery, which was my first upload has recieved such attention and praise. Many thanks

Nick Black

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Hello Nick and welcome...

You have certainly hit the nail with a scenery like Brize in this forum....
I got it when it was still warm, and I'm not seeing that bad FPS...guess it depends on your settings as well....

Being the VC10 guy I am, it is a must-have...really enjoying it.
Thank You.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello again Nick,

I appreciate it must be a proverbial pain in the butt to incorporate detail in separate .bgl's but it really is the best way to ensure the scenery is 'useable' with the widest possible audience :wink: I for one very much appreciate it being made that way and I'm sure there are many more like me :wink: A certain payware chap.. not unknown around here, also does it this way which is why I'm able to keep it installed. You know who you are.. Andy :doh:

:lol: :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

andy

Post by andy »

:smile: