The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Wireless Network Blues

Post by AllanL »

Help!

My daughter has launched herself and her housemates into the wireless world and got in a stew. As I'm 450 miles away, and not up to speed on such advanced gizmos I wondered if anyone here could point us towards a solution.

The story so far - a previous housemate provided the internet link which my daughter connected to via a wireless link. When the previous internet provider moved out my daughter bought a Belkin Hig-Speed Mode Wireless G router from Amazon so that she could provide the link for the new household setup.

What she failed to appreciate was that said unit, a F5D7231uk4 I'm told, comes with the following connectors

1 x network - RJ-45 ( WAN ) ¦ 4 x network node - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 ¦ 1 x network - Radio-Ethernet

Now, she has a modem supplied with a USB connector. Can she get a USB to any of the above to link the modem to the router, and then will she and the others be able to link in via their wireless connectors? As the main link to the server will her PC need to be wired up to the router?

All this is greek to me, Tovarich.

andy

Post by andy »

Allan, I find it difficult to believe, that somewhere in the UK, there is a housefull of young ladies, and not one of them hasn't got a fellah who is PC savvy! :lol:

Toby................get yer arse into gear......!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm sure C.B. will meet you there. :smile:

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

If the modem is a regular 56k phone modem I think its not going to work. You would have to plug the modem into a PC, have the router plug into it and then setup the PC to act as a bridge between them. But don't ask me how as I have not had to do that yet and I am even further away.

Hopefully its a cable or DSL modem then they have a chance.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

It's a broadband connection that they have.

Sooo, if I/they get an ethernet-usb connection between the router and the PC might we be heading the right way?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Allan'

My setup is now considered so old at 2years that it's not even listed on the BT site :shock:

However.. I have a BB connection (which is used only for the internet) that connects directly to a BT Wireless Router. I have 4 PC's connected wirelessly to the router and two hard wired via an ethernet switch. The router connects to the phone socket and my wireless pc's connect via USB wireless adaptors. These seem to have been replaced by PCI adaptors these days but 18months/2-years is a long time isn't it! :lol:

I was asked to look at a laptop some months ago (purchased from PC Blurb) as the owners couldn't get connected, despite being assured that what they'd bought would work. The instructions for the laptop said that it had to be connected (via ethernet cable) to a PC first (FIRST) and then the wireless router would be setup by the PC which would enable wireless connections to other pc's. At this point.. I gave up and told the owners what pr@ts they were for buying from PC Blurb in the first place :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

She's bought the wrong router.

There are 2 types....

Cable Broadband Routers - A router with which you plug a cable modem into and the signal is then broadcast.

ADSL Broadband Routers - A router with which you plug the phoneline into as they have a modem built in and then the signal is broadcast.

You cannot use a cable router with ADSL (which she has, hence a USB modem) and likewise you can't use an ADSL router with cable internet.

She needs to return the router to Amazon as it is of no use to her. Also forget Belkin. I've used an number of their products and have had nothing but trouble. Netgear is the way to go.

Another problem sorted :smile: One of my mates refers to me as the BBC..... Barretts Better Computers :wink:

Edit:
Also.... don't go to PC Blurb for one. When I had the misfortune of working there (needed work inbetween airport jobs) I had to butt into a number of networking sales to stop the customer being sold the wrong item.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Charlie Bravo wrote:She's bought the wrong router.

There are 2 types....
Not so fast. If she has a cable internet service or a ADSL service they usually provide a cable modem or a DSL modem. A network cable would then connect from the modem to the router using a CAT-5 cable. I am not sure if the USB cable on the modem would connect to the router, probably not.

My old Linksys router just died last weekend and I had to replace it. It was pretty simple operation. I did have to get a network cable and connect it directly to the router so I could configure it and turn on the wireless part.
Joe Cusick,

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

"If she has a cable internet service or a ADSL service they usually provide a cable modem or a DSL modem"
Correct

"A network cable would then connect from the modem to the router using a CAT-5 cable"
Incorrect.... a cable modem would connect to the PC/router using a CAT5 cable (or USB - also available), whereas an ADSL modem connects to the PC via a USB connection.

"I am not sure if the USB cable on the modem would connect to the router, probably not"
USB modems and routers DO NOT go together. She has an ADSL broadband service through a BT phoneline. I know this because she has a USB modem.
All UK ADSL providers give you a USB modem, whereas cable modems have both USB and Ethernet options.
Because of this, she requires a router with a built in modem as her current USB modem is now surplus to requirements. The router she has purchased does not have a modem built in and so I refer to my above post.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

All UK ADSL providers give you a USB modem.

Oh no, I am sorry to hear that. The DSL providers here (AT&T) provide modems with Ethernet connectors.

The Netgear router I just bought does have a USB connection on it but I am not sure if you can use it to connect the modem.

I tried to look up the modem on the Belkin site and they did not list the product specifications. I never had a good feeling about Belkin and usually avoided there products, preferring to try from companies I had actually heard of. Good luck.
Joe Cusick,

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

I agree with CB - dump the USB modem.

In fact looking on the Amazon site

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 54-2186369

is a Netgear DG834G that provides ADSL modem, router and wireless networking in one box

Just £8 more than the Belkin that leaves out the modem bit.

Is the DG834G any good CB? (I've got the DG834 which works fine)