Now this is weird

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

d0mokun
Trident
Trident

Post by d0mokun »

Whilst I can't help on what may have caused the issue, I can assure you that any AS download is perfectly safe. It's not possible for a zip (correct me if i'm wrong, please) to install anything automatically anyway.

Stewart- have you tried the Microsoft AntiSpyware program? I found it to be quite good.

KR
Dan

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Have you tried "Crap Cleaner"? Theres also that utility that scans your registry for dubious entries.. cant remember its name.

Most likely this esellerate thing is a dll. If you can locate it then thats probbaly most of the way to solving the problem. If its already been called then you usually cant delete it as the file will be in use, but I think windows does allow you to rename it. When you restart windows, whatever is calling it wont be able to find it and then you'll be able to delete it. Thats what I did to the last piece of crummy adware that got installed on my machine.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

It's called Crap Cleaner Toby :wink: :smile:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Here it is

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Caution it will, if not carefu,l clear out remembered password etc.

There is a tick box page to select what you want cleaned or not.

I use it a lot.....very useful especially clearing out old links and bits which can try to call back deleted files at times.

Garry
Garry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Garry, yeah I already mentioned that one, this was something else, much simpler... its output is a "dump" which the usual practice is to post on some geek forum and usually someone comes forward with the solution... might not be that helpful anymore... I use Mozilla products and have done so almost since they came out so I really dont have much of a problem anymore :smile:

Myles
Lightning
Lightning

Post by Myles »

Toby, do you mean 'Hijack This' - or at least, I think that's the name of it?

Best,

Myles

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Yup thats it I think, is that any use these days?

Myles
Lightning
Lightning

Post by Myles »

I think it is useful, but - Ive never used it! You need the geeky types to interpret it and identify any dodgy processes and what put them there. I'm sure somebody here can help if a Hijack This report was posted. Just don't ask me - I'm not nearly techie enough!

Myles

Stewart Pearson
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice. Indeed I have tried Ccleaner, and about 3 or 4 spyware removers, including a payware
one (which for a Scotsman really hurts!!) Have also run Hijack this and nothing in the log looks suspicious.

Still getting the same message and I have been back and forward through every folder in the sim and cannot for the
life of me find any reference to esellerate.

However, as part of my warranty, the PC is due a health check etc within the next 3 weeks, so I guess I will tote it down
to the local PC world and have them give the system a good zapping.

Many thanks again, it's much appreciated.

Cheers

Stewart :smile:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Stewart

Have you checked the startup folder and also the windows temp folders in case it is lurking there?

I realise you said you have been throiugh the foldes but I don't know if you meant on that side of the line.

Garry
Garry