Blackburn Beverley Update

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Kevin, Yes I tried the heavy drop thing by attempting to paint out the doors as per the globe, but no success maybe a real painter could do it though I think not.

One thing I did on my model is to remove that scruffy individual in the co pilots seat and removed th VC alltogether.
Rich

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by VC10 »

I don't know what I am doing wrong but when I install Panel.new and then try to load the Bev, FS9 crashes back to the desktop. I have added the up-grade step by step and tried loading the a/c. All was OK until I moved the panel.new over.
If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Post by delticbob »

Sorry if this sound like I'm telling you how to suck eggs :worried: VC10.

But you have installed the new air file & cfg file too? Not just the panel.

I know from before this (wonderful) update, if I tried to load the Beverley direct, (instead of starting with another aircraft such as the Cessna) then yes I too got the crash.

That said I installed all the recommended bit n bobs & now my version does load from the select aircraft screen with no problems.

Post how you get on, there are always other options :smile:

Bob
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by VC10 »

Hi Bob,

No offence taken.

1. I loaded the original files - loaded FS9 and tried the Bev and crashed back to desktop ( I've been playing around with it for a few hrs so I decided to try again from scratch and take it one step at a time).

2. Installed the new .air & .cfg files. Opened FS9 and loaded the Bev and flew with no probs (Just white squares where the instruments should be).

3. Modified the .cfg file to allow the original textures to be used. Went flying again.

4. Installed Panel.new and the problem began. I have renamed the original panel Panal.bak and still have the original config file as cfg.bak.

Paul

22:08 Update.

I give up!.

If I load a Cessna flt then change the a/c I can go Beverley flying with all the instruments. If I close FS still in the Bev, FS 9 crashes.

If I go straight to the Bev after loading FS, FS 9 crashes.

If I do the same without the panel.new folder the Bev will load.

I have uninstalled the FS 9 update & (clutching at straws) IE7 Beta, but the symptoms remain the same.

Kevin
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kevin »

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Obviously, I haven't experienced this, nor has anyone else reported it, but clearly it seems to be related in some way to the way my new panel interacts with your FS installation. I can suggest some possibilities, but I don't know the cause.

Most of the instruments called up are not unusual: 90% of them are reused from the TGA panel and most of the rest are MAPE or from RP/JH panels which we know work successfully in FS9, so I doubt that they are the problem.

However, the Driftmeter & Sextant are not a standard item for most people: do you have them installed? If you don't, try commenting out the lines

gauge56=Drift7!drift_icon, 20, 561, 12, 12
gauge57=BB_sextant!icon, 35, 561, 12, 12

in the 'panel.cfg' file. It may be that FS9 crashes if it can't find them; I don't know this, but it's possible.

A further (very slight) possibility is that the 'Dishforth' map isn't being found, if it wasn't copied over from the original panel.

The only other thing that occurs to me is that perhaps the 'effects'-type instruments called up are causing a problem if they're not found on your installation. These would be the 'Nick's Prop Dust', and the Rob B 'RCBSE' engine select gauge.

The first is in the 'Vcockpit 03' section of the 'panel.cfg' and is defined as:

gauge00=nn-gauges!LargePropDustFXcontrol.xml, 0,0

Try commenting out this line if you don't have Nick's effect.

The other is in 'Vcockpit 01':

gauge08=rcb-gauges!SelectCorrect, 0,0

Again, try commenting out this, if the gauge isn't installed.

Of course, if any of these aren't installed, an alternative to commenting out would be to install the gauges and try again.

I hope that one of these works for you.

Cheers,

Kevin

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by VC10 »

Thanks for the feedback Kevin.

I've tried all those things you suggested but no luck (I have the full set of instruments installed)

I am now starting installed an empty panel.new file and started adding text block by block starting from the top.

This block seems to crash it:

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window00]
file=Bevpnl.bmp
size_mm=800
window_size_ratio=1.000
position=7
visible=1
ident=0
render_3d_window=0
window_size= 1.000, 1.000
window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

However with no gauges in the gauges folder and a complete panel.new file the Bev will load.

I'll keep you posted

Paul

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by VC10 »

Problem solved.

After loading instruments individually into the gauges folder I narrowed dwon the source of the problem to the original bev_asi.gau & the bev_rpm'x'.gau files.

I then wondered if my original Beverley installation files had been superseded so I took a trip to the Transglobal website and noticed a problem page. There it revealed that I needed the GaugeSound.dll installed (in Windows\system32 directory).

I installed that, put the gauges in the folder and all is now working.

For reference here is the problem page

http://www.transglobalaircraft.co.uk/1653.html

Kevin
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for the follow-through feedback, Paul. It's always good to get a resolution, because for every one who flags up a problem, there are probably ten who suffer in silence.

Plus, I'm relieved that it wasn't anything I did :lol: :dance:

Cheers,

Kevin

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by VC10 »

Kevin, Just had my first proper flight in her - excellent.

Funny thing about that .dll, I've never had that problem before.

I don't know if you have seen this before:-

"A famous aircraft designer saw a dutch barn blow past in a gale. The basic concept of the Beverley was born at that moment.

The original design of the machine was intended to fulfill single-seater specifications, but as full power was required to taxi the aircraft forward at a slow walking pace, another engine was added. The resulting increase in all up weight necessitated the addition of two further engines to enable it to move at all.

By this time, the general dimensions had increased somewhat, and the work was often delayed for several days at a time while the a/c was utilised by the airport manager as a spare hanger for visiting aircraft. This state of affairs continued for such a long time, that by the time the prototype was ready for flight, other types of aircraft were jet powered.

The rather embarrassed designer, fearing to appear behind the times, had the propellers placed much higher than he had originally intended, in the hopes that they would not be noticed. This entailed the raising of the mainplane and the fuselage sides (the production manager raised the roof) and accounts for the immense height of the machine.

As no adequate runway was available, the undercarriage was adapted to take locomotive wheels, and the first take-off was from the Brough – Hull railway. It was in fact airborne by the time it had reached the passenger station at Beverley: hence its name.

A conversion kit for this purpose is still in existence. While the aircraft is in use in this role, the Flight Deck should be at all times be referred to as the drivers cab, and the VHF should be re-crystallized to include the frequencies of Crewe signal box, and the head office of the National Union of Railwaymen.

Spinning the aircraft is not recommended, as the torque reaction involved causes the Earth to rotate in the opposite direction to the spin, to the accompaniment of terse notes from Greenwich Observatory.

The aircraft is extremely versatile, and may be employed in many roles, particularly those, which do not include flying or movement of any kind. It is also highly amenable to modification. For example, wind tunnel tests have shown that the wings could be placed at the bottom, and the wheels at the top, without any appreciable drop in performance.

Taken all in all, the Beverley is an ideal aircraft for a civilian enthusiast with a million pounds, a private oil well, and a total abhorrence of flying."

The Beverly's first flight was in June 1950 and Blackburns Chief Test Pilot is reported to have said to his co-pilot at the moment of lift off " Well my sides airborne, how about yours"

Paul

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Just love it Paul. :smile: :smile: :smile:

[Edit] I did actually see one win an air race at Dishforth in the late 50's.

Graham
Last edited by Filonian on 22 Jun 2006, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.