Go the scenic route

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

DanKH wrote:You might also find inspiration here:

http://www.simtours.net/
Great Link Dan, many thanks! :thumbsup:

ATB
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

I was just coming back to mention another of my favourites when I saw Dan's link. What a terrific site, Dan - thanks for that, it'll keep me amused for years!

I was going to suggest Lukla (VNLK), Nepal, (100m East of Kathmandu) which is the nearest airstrip to Mt. Everest at about 9,000 ft. In the default scenery it is a dirt strip, but following Dan's link (http://www.simtours.net/mounteverest.php) I can see that it looks much better with posh scenery. It's bloody difficult though! Once again, apologies for not having a proper, suitable aeroplane - I think you need a twin otter - but this is what it looks like in the default scenery. The strip is on the plateau just above the right wingtip. Mt. Everest is in the distance, centre.

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

I reckon RP's Chippie would be a likely contender for that route Speedy! :wink:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Or a helicopter? :lol:

As a matter of fact, I was just myself searching for Lukla when I found the site.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

speedbird591 wrote:Lukla (VNLK), Nepal, (100m East of Kathmandu)
Is it really THAT near?...Why fly then? A 100m walk shouldn't take more than a few minutes.... :lol:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Chippies and helicopters would make landing a doddle. But it's not that easy, chaps! You have to get there first. You've got to fly from Kathmandu at a height of at least 13,000 ft to clear the lumpy bits with a load of mountaineers and all their gear (Dan and the sherpas will have to go on foot with the yaks). You'll need at least five engines and three wings! If you don't hit the threshold you'll need to land with the brakes already on - even in the Baron - the alternative is a sheer rock face. It can be great fun but gets a bit tedious if you don't turn off crash detection :lol:

p.s. sorry, Dan - a bit slow today, I'm excused metric due to my age :huf:

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

speedbird591 wrote:Juneau Intl (PAJN), Alaska, is one of my favourites. Lots of mountains around and a tricky offset ILS approach with no glide slope. I only use default scenery. Sorry about the non-British aircraft but I don't have anything else suitable to fly there. It's just for illustrative purposes.
Try Skagway!

http://www.cbfsim.org/cbfsimv5/cbfsbb/v ... php?t=6420

No Ils,No glideslope, no asphalt!

ttfn

Pete
Last edited by Motormouse on 30 Jun 2006, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Speedy

I suggested VNLK in the 2nd post :sad: - should have included a screenie to capture attention :lol:

Taking off isn't to bad - like jumping over a cliff, you pick up flying speed on the way down. Landing is the problem, either along the valley or over a peak and then a rapid descent for a straight in.

And PAJN is fun - 2nd airport on my RTW trip - chose an Alaskan 727 - no problem.

Ian

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

ianhind wrote:Speedy.....I suggested VNLK in the 2nd post :sad:
So you did, Ian. Sorry - I did read it but VNLK didn't register at the time and I suddenly thought of Lukla later on. Humble apologies for trampling on your post :worried:

While on the subject of Lukla, I followed up Dan's link earlier in this post and found this photo of Lukla http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0364044/M/
There is also some awesome (no, really) add-on scenery. Check out these screenshots http://aerosoft-shop.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=121 but look at the hardware requirements before you get your credit card out :lol:

Motormouse - thanks for the Skagway tip. That looks like my sort of airstrip. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Only thing is, all my decent aircraft are jetliners so I guess I'll have to try it in the default Dak and if I like it I'll look for something from Rick's stable :smile:

david balmer

Post by david balmer »

try downloading voz austalia, flying in the tropics is great, the colours and the scenery in general is well worth it. the program is independent of fs9, that is you load it first and when finished you revert back to default fs9.
all four zones are covered, the latest version is for summer only. the next will be for full year seasons, also included are the main airports and sydney is mind blowing at first, frame rates are not hammered to much. if cbfs had flights into and out of aus, that's the program i would be using.