Vulcan Recommendations anyone ?

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hot Charlies' right - Vulcan VX770 broke up after a high speed fly-past.

The pilot was briefed for two runs over the airfield at 200-300ft between 250-300kts at 70-80% engine rpm.

Analysis of a cine film showed that the Vulcan was clocking up to 410-420kts as it flew along the runway and decended to 65-70ft of the ground.

Briefly having read an accident report into this.......The cause of the crash was that the pilot flew the aircraft too fast and started to roll and pull up at the same time into a 3,000ft min climb imposing between 2-3g when he should have stayed below 1.25g.

the airframe broke up at the very point on the wing leading edge which Avro had shown to be the weakest part of the structure.

So it appears that the pilot, in his attempt to show the aircraft to its best best effect completely forgot or ignored his pre-flight briefing.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

migeater0
Lightning
Lightning

Post by migeater0 »

My girlfriends grandfather was killed in a Vulcan crash, Malta I believe.
The Sock Lives! Long Live The Sock!

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

migeater0 wrote:My girlfriends grandfather was killed in a Vulcan crash, Malta I believe.
The "famous" one? Not a pleasant incident...

http://john-dillon.co.uk/V-Force/xm645_malta.html
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks for all the responses to this, chaps. It looks like it's going to be the Just Flight one, and I'll stick a tenner in the kitty at the 'Vulcan to the Sky' tent at Flying Legends next week anyway. :smile:

The posts concerning Vulcan accidents are interesting, though very sad. I never knew there were two spare seats in them for supernumeraries such as ground crew.

EDIT: Hot Charlie, you're right, Just Flight do indeed donate some of the proceeds to VTTS. Good stuff!

Robin
Trident
Trident

Post by Robin »

My Vulcan flew alright. You really had to nurse it. The sounds are ace and do make a bloody good rumble.

Enjoy it!

Steve M
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Steve M »

Just to concur that the Just Flight package is indeed excellent.

On the subject of Vulcan crashes I have a lasting memory from my primary school days in the North East when I saw the crippled XM610 heading south over Bedlington and well alight after a training sortie over the cheviot hills. The captain Garth Alcock nursed her as far as County Durham, the rear crew having bailed out over the cheviots.
The Co Pilot was first out from the front followed by the Captain when he could no longer control the aircraft which crashed in a field near the village of Wingate without loss of life.
The full story can be found at http://www.neam.co.uk/wingate.html

Steve M

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

A very interesting read there Steve

Amazing bravery trying control the situation.

Thanks for the link.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Same pilot as the Malta incident... didnt go so well second time sadly :sad:

Steve M
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Steve M »

I had the pleasure of a chance meeting with Mr Alcock last year in the course of my work 34 years after seeing his vulcan dying. It only became apparent when discussing his previous occupation and he happened to mention ejecting from vulcans. I asked was one of those by chance over the North East in 1971 and the rest as they say is history.
I'm not sure what the chances of that would be but it certainly made for an interesting chat.
Steve M