British 90s "leisure airlines"

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

amo
Meteor
Meteor

British 90s "leisure airlines"

Post by amo »

Intend to paint the following A320 liveries:
Air2000 old, Excalibur, Inter European, Airuk Leisure, Airtours.
Did anyone ever fly with the above, particularly Excalibur & Inter European?
What were they like? :crying:
Cheers
amo

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

hey Amo

How about "Flying Colours"

Leif

Robin
Trident
Trident

Post by Robin »

Cor Excalibur, got a model of that. My parents flew with them and said it was very good.

I flew with Air2000 but to be honest, anything seemed better than a ropey old Sterling 727.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I must say I did fly with a stack of operators like that in the 1990s...

1991 - TEA (UK)
1992 - Dan Air
1993 - Air 2000
1994 - Air UK Leisure
1995 - Monarch
1998 - Caledonian
2000 - Sabre
2001 - JMC

All of the above were IT charters LGW-SZG-LGW for holidays my family used to make to Austria.

From memory:

TEA - first ever flight out of UK territories and accomplished on a 737-300. Only memory of this was returning in the smoking section of the plane sitting next to an old man who given his name and where he told me he came from (and his apparent age), might well have been one of my grandfather's schoolfriends, although I didnt know this at the time!

The MD of this, Bob O'Donnell went on to form Excalibur from the remains of the UK end of TEA with some leased A320s. I think it lasted about 3/4 seasons and came to a rather unpleasant end with pax refusing to board an a/c due to smoke apparently eminating from it :think:

DAN Air - flew on 727-200s.. dont remember much about this to be honest!

Air 2000. First flight in the 757. Remember the food and the service was a lot better than anything I had experienced before (and pretty much most things I have experienced subsequently, although the breakfast on the outbound was naff!)

Air UK Leisure. Unpleasant memories of this one. Used to fly Air UK Ltd out to the CIs prior to going to Austria and that was always nice, but UKL imposed a hefty delay of 10 hours on us, during the last hour (in which one passenger's bags were being removed as he'd suffered a bad nose bleed and wasnt going to fly), the handlers must have rifled through most people's bags as some of ours had been broken into and stuff nicked. On the return flight, we were so late (delayed again!) that the airport staff were turning off lights and monitors in the terminal just as we were called as Salzburg operates on a strict curfew so as not to annoy the citizens!

Monarch. 757 again. Freezing cold onboard for some reason and very naff food :huf:

Caledonian. My first flight on the A320. Very nice and food was good too (I remember getting Walkers scottish shortbread on return flight :drool: )

Sabre. 727 again - ex DAN Air one in fact and dodgy as hell - an engineer came on board and proceeded to inform a pilot (within earshot of me!) of a list of equipment onboard that was u/s :shock: . Remember a death-defying approach and landing on SZG rwy 16. Return was on an unpainted Super 27 variant, a bit newer and seemed less likely to fall apart. :lol:

JMC. Merger of Caledonian and Flying Colours. Seemed to have lost the charm of Cal and gained lots of tackiness and a company jingle (I can still remember) and "Mr Motivator"'s inflight DVT-beating excercise video complete with him wearing red and green socks like navlights :roll:

Sorry, long reminscing rant.... if I cant provide some useful info, let me know!

amo
Meteor
Meteor

Post by amo »

Forgot about Flying Colours - They used 757's and A320's if I remember. Did they not fly out of Bristol & Scotland?
Toby- Have to agree about Air2000 flew with them to Cyprus from Glasgow.
Cheers
amo

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Amo - dont know much about Flying Colours, didnt see them down here in the South East I dont think :think: , but yes, A320 and 757. They only existed for 5 years between 1995 and 2000.

Parents are flying with First Choice (formerly AMM) in the not too distant future... wonder what its like now :think:

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Most (if not all) the ex Flying Colours 757s are now flying with Thomas Cook - easily identified by their G-FCL? registrations.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

ianhind wrote:Most (if not all) the ex Flying Colours 757s are now flying with Thomas Cook - easily identified by their G-FCL? registrations.
Thats correct. Flying Colours became JMC with that awful livery and then TCX.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

amo
Meteor
Meteor

Post by amo »

While looking for Flying Colours info (have it in an old airliners somewhere) I came across
1. Airworld: formed in 1993 flew from Manchester, Bristol, Cardiff, LGw and Scottish Airports.
2. All Leisure in 1995 from LGW, Manchester and Newcastle.
Both used A320's.

Flying colours flew 4- 757s from 1996 from Manchester& LGW.
I'm sure I saw a picture of an A320 but will have to find the airliners article.
Cheers
amo

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Amo - Flying Colours leased two Trans Aer a320s in 97/98 one at Gatwick
and one at manchester - real UN thing

British carrier operating Irish registered flown by American (Transmeridian)
crews -- remember the lads used to laugh at the poor trolley dollies because
they had to have inspection before a flight to make sure their silver serving
trays were clean :lol:

leif