Seperating Modern and Wartime AI Traffic

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Stewart Pearson
Viscount
Viscount

Seperating Modern and Wartime AI Traffic

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Good Morning all,

I have over the years installed quite a bit of AI Traffic - I think at last count I have something like 300 different F-16's alone :shock:

Following the release of the AH Hurricane and Hawkinge Scenery, I snapped them up and then had a major :think: :think:

Liked the idea of AI Spits and Hurricanes around Hawkinge and would like to expand that side. Obviously having them sharing the skies with the modern stuff does not appeal. The only thought I have had was to copy the Scenery/World/Scenery folder and have two seperate ones (1 for Modern, 1 for WW2/Classic a/c).

Does anyone have a better solution to this poser?

Cheers

Stewart :wink:

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Stewart,

I handle it a little more easily than that. If I have 'themed' AI (i.e. military, warbirds etc) I set them up with their own traffic BGL using TTools, rather than adding them to the MS standard traffic BGL; that way if I want one type but not the other I simply remove, temporarily, the unnecessary file.

I'm setting up a 'retro' FS9 installation at the moment, and I will set up files for 1950s traffic, '60s traffic etc. It takes a little work up front, but makes things easier in the long run.

AndyG

Stewart Pearson
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Hi Andy,

Yes I considered that way also, but I have my main AI traffic in seperate bgls (ie by Airline, RAF, USAF etc). I reckoned swapping the folders would be quicker than kicking out all those bgls, when I want to fly classic era.

Cheers

Stewart

Kevin
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kevin »

I think that an additional retro FS9 is the way to go - it IS more work initially, but you have the advantage that you can remove objects like the modern Heathrow and replace them with Fairey's Great West Aerodrome.

One option is to install Bill Lyon's 'Golden Wings' and then seek out all the WWII sceneries available at SOH, for example. You may not like some of the mods that Bill L has made (textures are different), but its all easily modified to taste.

Cheers,

Kevin

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I am also thinking about installing some 'classic' AI. I have read the threads about RetroAI and seen the various recommendations - could I ask what flightplans and models you use Andy?

Rgds,

Colin
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Effoh wrote:Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I am also thinking about installing some 'classic' AI. I have read the threads about RetroAI and seen the various recommendations - could I ask what flightplans and models you use Andy?

Rgds,

Colin
A couple of good places to start:

http://www.calclassic.com/ (for AI aircraft and advice)

http://www.retroai.net/ (for schedules etc)

Have fun!

AndyG

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Cheers Andy!

Rgds,

Colin
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't