ATL-98 Carvair uploaded....

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Jonbouy
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Jonbouy »

Thanks for the thumbs up and welcome all.

The release has gone far better than I could have expected, I guess I chose the 'right' plane to do.

Chris T's comments stumped me for a while....(til I scrolled down :lol:). That'll teach me to accuse him of duplicity on another forum. :wink:

And Ian, the most requested thing at the moment is a repaint kit so your efforts will be greatly appreciated. When I can get organized after the rush to meet my own release deadline I will sort out the paint templates to make the job easier. I get a funny feeling though someone's gonna beat me to it and make a better job. Note that there is a lotta space on the .bmps for the upcoming VC.

Lastly, Filonian the next up is a 'Fairey Hendon' which I'm doing for a period transatlantic crossing contest.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Looking forward to that Jon, and sorry for spelling your name wrong in my previous post.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Many thanks Jon for this piece of history it looks great to me :smile:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Jonbouy wrote:Chris T's comments stumped me for a while....(til I scrolled down :lol:). That'll teach me to accuse him of duplicity on another forum. :wink:
Hehe... I do stuff that on occasion to all manner of designers. Reminds everyone to scroll down. :smile: I do enjoy the airplane and it's nice to have... now to convince John (the CBFS CEO) to add it to our fleet..........:bandit:

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Lucky enough to see N103 and N55243 in "Leif Land" :wink: at Hilo in 1983, as well as the Aer Ligus trio, two French Carvairs and LX-IOH at Heathrow in the 60s.

Now to find photos of the US ones :think:

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Used to be one that lived at Griffin Georgia - It was Bare Aluminum with red and black I believe crashed and burnt in the early 80s .

Leif

Jonbouy
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Jonbouy »

DispatchDragon wrote:Used to be one that lived at Griffin Georgia - It was Bare Aluminum with red and black I believe crashed and burnt in the early 80s .

Leif
I believe you mean the Carvair #5, originally delivered on 4 Aug '44 as a Douglas C-54A-15-DC/R5D-1 c/n 10365 in Chicago. First registration as a Carvair on 2 Nov '62 was G-AREK (ironically). And was quite possibly as F-BMHV one of the French Carvairs that Ian refers to in his post before. Its final registration was N83FA which it acquired in August 79. It crashed at Griffin after an engine fire in #1 engine on 4th April '97, tragically killing both crew members as I understand.

Funnily enough the last role of N55243 which Ian also mentions was to be a source of spares for N83FA.

I guess which all goes to show if you wanna know about a plane build one! Dang, I've turned into a Carvair geek. How did that happen? :think:

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Thats the one - In fact it was quite busy for a while operating on behalf of
Academy Airlines a rather prosaic DC3 operator who flew from a little grass
strip just west of Griffin - they were totally legitamate , but their location and
aircraft type made it open season everytime they fired an engine up - DEA,FBI,ATF everywhere The name of the Carvair Operator was Falcon named after Atlanta's football team/

Leif

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

G-AREK was first registered as a DC 4 in September 1960

It was sold after conversion without flying as G-AREK even though it was re-registered during conversion as a Carvair.

It was quite late, after BAF went to the blue bottom that on restoration, 23-02-1973 that it flew for the first time as G-AREK (as a Carvair).

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Jonbouy
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Jonbouy »

That is indeed Correct

Right Obidiah!!!
(rolls up his sleeves in a Monty Python "We had it tough" sketch stylee.)

It was originally built as a Douglas C-54A-15-DC/R5D-1 c/n 10365 in Chicago
C-54A-15-DC 42-72260 United States Army Air Force R5D-1
50843 United States Navy delivered Aug 44
C-54A-DC NC58003 Veterans Air Express bought in April 46
Matson Navigation Co. bought Nov 48
VP-CBD Air Ceylon bt Feb 49
CY-ACA Air Ceylon Re registered Sept 50
VH-INY ANA “Laxapanaâ€