ATL-98 Carvair uploaded....

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

kikko
Comet
Comet

Post by kikko »

Nice ! But, since the Carvair had a modified "DC7C " like fin and classic DC-4 wings I think both these are a bit incorrect in shape. In any case, it's very nice with good animations and very good details. If this is its first attempt ..COMPLIMENTS! Why not begin a Bristol 170 MK32 as second attempt ? It should be otherwise in the same theme with the Carvair. :dance:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

kikko wrote:Nice ! But, since the Carvair had a modified "DC7C " like fin and classic DC-4 wings I think both these are a bit incorrect in shape. In any case, it's very nice with good animations and very good details. If this is its first attempt ..COMPLIMENTS! Why not begin a Bristol 170 MK32 as second attempt ? It should be otherwise in the same theme with the Carvair. :dance:
Thats right as indicated the Carvair did not have a DC 7C fin

Similiar in shape granted but a different area.

This was due to the fact they were both essentially extended DC 4 fins.

BTW as already mentioned in this forum a Bristol 170 project is underway. :smile:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Yes I had heard that as well Garry :wink:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Garry, and Kikko

I had a nice photo of BAF Carvair showing both the tail and the
wing - which funnily enough Jonbouy was nicely accurate with
even those odd "vista" windows aft of the cargo door. I was going
to post it but thought better.....Its still the best representation of
the tadpole - warts n all

Nice job Jon

Is someone thinking of building a Bristol Frightner??? :wink:
Oh wow cool :-#

Leif

Jonbouy
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Jonbouy »

I was thinking of the SuperFrightner being a Lydd local but instead got involved with the Fairey Hendon for a period virtual Trans-Atlantic race (working on the principal of the hare and the tortoise). But I for sure would love to add a Mk32 to my EGMD collection.

With regards to the Carvair, the tail section was indeed an extension to the standard DC-4 fin and not a DC-7 fin as popular myth suggests. My rendition of the fin although the correct shape IS slighty too wide, front to back which I've since found out, is partly due to the poor quality 3-view I had for it. The wings however are pretty much spot on std DC-4 fare, even down to the correct NACA airfoil shape, the panel lines were taken from an accurate line drawing and overlayed on the wing and (without being too anal) fitted perfectly.

Bear in mind that the AT98 will be an ongoing pet project for me because I love the plane so much, and improvements will be made over time with respect to discussions such as this, so I appreciate the feedback. v1.1 is planned to introduce a working VC and 2d panel and I'm sure some refinements to the model.

The first incarnation was intended really as a public beta, to gauge interest and to share the fun I was having with it. 4000 d/l's since Jul 1 with only one email support request where I'd cocked up the .cfg file, I'd say it was worth continuing with.

Regards

Jon

kikko
Comet
Comet

Post by kikko »

Yeah, very good indeed. Thanx for the fin updated information. I pray from now on our brave friend Jon to "materialise" a Bristol MK.32 one day or another.. :-({|=

PS : I badly need it, it seems that only the Mr. Goldfinger's yellow Rolls Royce could be transported by Carvair (tadpole hahaha I know this nick but only for Seabees) . Mine needs a SuperBristol :-$ :lol: