Ras Sadr...

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Ras Sadr...

Post by petermcleland »

On a detachment to Sharjah, we searched out a suitable spot on the coast to use for a live firing range...We found a steep sided gully which opened out to the sea, at a place on the coast called Ras Sadr. We obtained permission from the Sheik and went ahead with the project...These shots I took on the first day of firing:-

Here are the crew...A bunch of Trucial Oman Scouts.

I get a bit nervous when I look down the barrels of loaded guns! ...One of the chaps making a low pass to identify the targets.

Here is a rocket (with practice concrete head), striking short of the targets...The group of 40 gallon drums is the target. You can see from the craters that the chaps have been a bit wide of the mark...Might frighten a tank but that is about all.

This 20mm straffing, with ball ammo, is better and the drums are being hit...

...and bowled over.

Just as well that we have these nice chaps to stand them up again for us.

Thanks for looking :smile:
Last edited by petermcleland on 06 Jul 2006, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Wow... impressive shots... like the head-on Venom over the beach.. and in colour too and pretty reasonable colour at that. I assume these shots are ~50 years old? I didnt realise it was commonplace to be using colour transparency in those days.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

It wasn't common Toby

Colour was expensive and few could afford it.

My Dad would sometimes take a year to use up a film.

That lasted through the 1960's

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Thats what I thought, which was why I was surprised to see it. I still have a roll of Fuji Velvia 100 thats been in my 1952 Halina TLR medium format camera for nearly 3 years :doh:

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Peter
Your a bloody marvel

Gorgeous shots....Im curious what Kind of camera - my father had a
beautiful prewar Leica he used for taking aerial shots of archeological sites
and the colour value and quality looks about the same.

Thank you

Leif

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Great shots,
Kodachrome perhaps?
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

blanston12 wrote:Great shots,
Kodachrome perhaps?
Joe,

Those Ras Sadr shots are indeed all Kodachrome Transparencies...I did also use Ektachrome :smile:

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

DispatchDragon wrote:Peter
Your a bloody marvel

Gorgeous shots....Im curious what Kind of camera - my father had a
beautiful prewar Leica he used for taking aerial shots of archeological sites
and the colour value and quality looks about the same.
Leif,

That was my first proper camera but it was not a very high grade one and certainly not a reflex. It had a normal viewfinder that had bad parallax errors when close and I had a special extra that was supposed to fix that. I bought the camera in Aden (duty free) before going on down to Nairobi. I used it to get a lot of very special shots of wild game...All Transparencies. The camera was a Braun Paxette and certainly not in the same class as your father's Leica :lol:

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I had an interesting experience that day which I will explain with reference to the fourth picture down...You can see that I'm standing near the edge of a cliff, similar to the one on the opposite side of the gully. You can also see some sort of black stump down on the floor of the gully just to the right...Well later in the day when there was an interval, I scrambled down there with my revolver and my issued 12 rounds of .38 ammo and stood a few beer cans on that stump thing.

A backed off about 10 yards towards where the camera is in that picture and the Scouts got rather interested and stood at the edge of the cliff where I was standing to take that picture. They were wondering what this mad Englishman was going to do, I guess. So get the picture...I'm standing facing the beer cans and the crew are high above me on the cliff and directly behind me.

Anyway, I start loosing off rounds at the beer cans and do pretty well at knocking them over...Then I got a ricochette off that stump and I hear it wanging around the ravine and then back over my head. Then "THWACK" it hits one of the Scouts full in the chest...The spent and battered round then fell to the ground at his feet.

A brief moment of silence and the thunderous applause from all the Scouts, including the one I hit...I think it was the guy on the extreme right of the first picture.

Anyway, I decided not to try for an encore and after apologising profusely to the guy I hit, there was much merriment and badinage!

It was the most amazing and impossible ricochette I ever saw :think:

smithcorp
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by smithcorp »

Peter

Amazing photos and stories - thanks a million for posting them!

smith