More Leg ends.. 56k warning - 22 shots

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

David

Thank you for the second annual legendfest photoalbum, For those of us
across the sea you made it real - Love the Curtis 75 and is the Dewotine
real or a replica - And you can psot as many Spit shots as you want
can never get enough

Cheers from Tag and I

Leif

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Tks Toby. Whenever :wink:

Hi Leif,
Glad you liked them. There are a load more as I'm sure DG has too. Difficult to just 'take' a selection as I know you'll appreciate :wink:
Many of the aircraft in those shots are combat aircraft that have seen combat. I can't remember either the history of the Hawk or Morane and couldn't get a programme (most unusual) but both are as original as their 'found' condition allows. Steve Hinton actually oversaw the Hawk project from start to finish and I believe she saw action. The Morane was found in a poorer state but equal TLC has been shown to bring her to the state you see above. I'm pretty certain she is a true veteran in the fullest sense :wink:
The F6 Hellcat has 7 kills to her credit and I believe her pilot is still alive and well and residing on your side of the pond :smile:

As per mate.. if there are any you fancy, I'll dig the fullsize versions out for you. If I get the time, I'll post a few more that didn't make it into the first batch. :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Superb pics Dave B ( got it right this time ). Flying Legends surpassed itself this year. Two B-17s in the air together, two Catalinas likewise...aviation heaven. Here's to Flying Legends 2007! :dance:

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

DaveB wrote:Peter.. they do this every year.. at this time of the year (normally Duxford's second display out of the 4 they have) so get it in your diary. This particular show (Flying Legends) is primarily organised by TFC (The Fighter Collection) and excludes everything built after 1945 though this year was a first.. a Yak display with aircraft from the 60's. Flying Legends is quite unique in Europe and is a must for lovers of piston engined aircraft :wink: I'll mail you next year.. well beforehand :wink:
Thanks Dave,

I will definitely go and see it next year and have already mentioned it to Nica...She mumbled something about Wimbledon, so I might have to drop her off on the way :roll:

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Boy is my face read - Morane Saulnier vs Dewotine LOL

I nearly made some smart ass comment about the fact that Dets all

had skids NOT tailwheels - However seeing its the Morane Id be betting

it was one of the Swiss ones

Leif

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Brilliant photos Dave, begin to wish I had gone after all and sod the expense!! :sad:

Have been looking at their list of air shows for this year and was thinking of going to the Autumn Air Show on Sunday 8 October but think I will hold off for next years' Flying Legends after seeing those pics you took. :dance:
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Leif..

That Morane is the only surviving combat veteran.. as well as being the only one of it's kind. I'd be hard pushed to say just how much of it is original now as it was in a very poor state when found so most of it has been remade. A most unusual little fighter.. typically French, though sadly woefully under powered against it's then enemy.. the Bf109. I've no info to say one way or the other if it ended up with the Swiss :wink:

Nigel..
Duxford started having 4 shows not that long ago and the usual scenario is show one.. a bit of anything goes and a warm up for the old girls. Show 2 is Flying Legends (not a jet in sight and not much post 1945 either!). Show 3 is the main event of the year in Sept and covers the broadest possible collection of aircraft.. this show normally has a 'theme' too. Finally, the Autumn display in Oct. This one is probably the last display of the season in this country and while smaller than the show in Sept, you get a nice mix.
Legends was pretty pricey this year at £30per head but I suppose this reflects the higer insurance premiums the aircraft operators have to pay :roll: No gain without pain :poke:

ATB

ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Dave, after reading your info it might just be the September one as will have a good excuse for the missus for going.........T'is the month of my birfday!!! :redface: :partyman: :-$
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Ed Walters
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Ed Walters »

From what I've read, it's the other way round - the Morane is more original than the Hawk.

As Leif says, the "Morane" Swiss. It was actually built by EKW in Switzerland, so it's an FFA D-3801.

Also, in the Breitling Fighters days, Ray Hanna used to fly the P-40, so it's not the first time you've seen MH434 flown by others ;)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ed,

I didn't say that the Hawk was any more original than the Morane did I??.

Not ALL MS 406C's were built in Switzerland as far as I'm aware. The original order for 1000 units couldn't be met so Switzerland acquired 2 early production units and built 82 EFW D-3800's under licence. The Swiss developed aircraft were as you say D-3801 and numbered 207. As I said earlier, I have no history to hand on the example in the shot above.

Point 3.. yes, I know. I've been a member of Tiger Squadron for a number of years and was aware that Ray's favourite was the P-40. However, with the return of the P-40 to NZ and with no Mark available.. he would more than likely be found in the Spit.

Have I trod on someones toes today??

ATB

ImageImage