Video Released from Northwest airways (taxiway collision)

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr

Video Released from Northwest airways (taxiway collision)

Post by airboatr »

Video of the taxiway collision at
Minneapolis /St. Paul International
Minnesota USA One year ago
Northwest has just released the video
the airport security cameras recorded

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/mplayer/m/4077

Robin
Trident
Trident

Post by Robin »

Ooops.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I think thats the one where the captain suffered badly by being fuel soaked.

TBH it's probably just as well it happend like that with the Airbus stopping the DC 9 without too much in the way of injuries.

Better than continuing into a crowded terminal or what ever.

OK even better had it not hit anything.....but if it did that is probably a good result.

Fire though would have changed everything

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Post by delticbob »

You see the tractor (bottom left) making a hasty retreat.

Another brown trousers moment.

Yes, we can be greatful there was no fire as what was a minor shunt would hve been a total disaster

Bob
Last edited by delticbob on 11 Jul 2006, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Ooops indeed. Glad no-one was badly hurt.. :shock:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by VC10 »

DC9 had a right hydraulic system failure in flight. Plane landed without trouble using left hydraulic system. After landing pilot called for tow, but then elected to taxi to gate. During Taxi Capt shut down left engine. Big mistake.
Shutting down the left engine shut down the left hydraulic system. Now both the right and left hydraulic systems were inop. When the Capt realized he had no steering and brakes, he tried to stop the aircraft using the right engine thrust reverser. Well as every DC9 pilot knows (or should know), the right thrust reverser is powered by the hydraulic system. As the pilot panicked, he continued to pull more thrust reverse on the right throttle. The engine out put increased but the thrust reverser was not deployed. The aircraft developed 90% forward thrust pushing it off to the left and into the parked A320. Maintenance personnel had to cut the pilot out as the upper cockpit was pushed down. Jet fuel everywear in the cockpit.

If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

In light of what you have said there, I wonder if pilots who have trained coming from an engineering background would fair better in this sort of incident. I know of at least one guy who trained (originally) for your line of work Paul and a number of people I studied Mechanical or Aerospace engineering at University who were going on to fly (either in civvy street in the former case and for the RAF in the latter).

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Isn't there a joke about a Pilot with a spanner or something? :lol:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by VC10 »

I don't think that is necessarily true Toby. I've heard of an incident where engineers taxied a 747 on the inboard engine only and found when they needed them they didn't have steering or brakes! Steering & stby brakes are on Syst 1 and normal brakes are on syst 4. Possibly the result was those pictures I posted of the Saudia 747.

In another case somebody was taxiing a Tristar and turning onto the gate the Engineer on the FE's panel thought he would save time and start shutting down the engines, but he shut down the engine that powered the brakes! I've never worked the Tristar so I don't know the systems to validate this tale.

The secret is don't be to proud to use the check lists. It's the first thing they will ask you about come the inquiry.
If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.

andy

Post by andy »

Seeing as steering and brakes are pretty much a requirement when taxying, I would have thought that some form of cross feed would be in order with the hydraulics. :think: