Latest guestbook entry on TPS website

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Peter, just two questions for you, would there have been another aircraft that you would have liked to have flown when with BEA/BA and why, also were all your flights done in a day on the Tridents or were there stop-overs?

Regards Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Nigel H-J wrote:Peter, just two questions for you, would there have been another aircraft that you would have liked to have flown when with BEA/BA and why, also were all your flights done in a day on the Tridents or were there stop-overs?
Nigel,
I wanted to fly the Concorde...But when I had the seniority to get a course, I didn't have long enough to go to retirement to justify the expense. I would have hated the schedules but just wanted the experience.

Many Nightstops in the Trident...Usually three sectors then night stop, three sectors and go home. Some Doubles...Four sectors (out, back, out to somewhere else, back and go home. Many Singles...Out, back and go home. Occasional three sector days...Out, on to somewhere else, back to base and go home (like Heathrow to Oslo to Copenhagen to Heathrow). Stopovers were rare but I note a Heathrow to Malta, day off in Malta, return next day. I also note a Stockholm Standover day.

The Trident was not good for standover days but we had plenty of nightstops. My favourite Nightstop was Geneva.

The Vanguard was better with things like a four day Gibraltar or Malta.

The shorthaul life suited me very much and it was better for co-pilots too...They got far more handling experience than the chaps on longhaul. I always shared the Trident flights three ways unless the weather absolutely prevented it. The S111 was a nice operation with four and five day German Tours based at Berlin, Templehof...good allowances paid in cash Deutchmarks and positioning as passenger usually when going out for a tour or coming back (full duty free allowance). Being a two crew aircraft, the First Officer got nearly half the landings and take-offs :dance:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks very much Peter. Really should have guessed you would have picked Concorde, I think that must have been on every pilots' wish list :dance:

London to New York in three hours!! not really enough time to enjoy or savour the in-flight meals!! :lol:

Many thanks also for the information regarding the night stops, I can well remember my sister when she flew BOAC/BA talking of how the crew all used to get together and have a night out, though some Captains preferred to stay in the hotels and who could blame them!! :partyman: :tuttut:
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Peter

BEA first Vanguard Freighter was indeed G-APEL

It was trialed as a feasibility study and led to the adoption of the Merchantman conversion of which the first was 'EM.

I think is was 1967

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Garry Russell wrote:Hi Peter

BEA first Vanguard Freighter was indeed G-APEL

It was trialed as a feasibility study and led to the adoption of the Merchantman conversion of which the first was 'EM.

I think is was 1967
Garry,

I remember that Echo Lima had this roller track all the way to the back...It also still had a toilet at the back...I also remember a trolley or board on the roller track and I used it on one flight as a sort of surf board to whiz down to the back for a pee. There was no freight on as we were on our way back empty... The skipper realised what I was doing and got the other First Officer to let him know when I was on the track, surfing back towards the flight deck.

Well it was an interesting ride as he climbed and dived on the first officer's prompts...Had me surfing backwards and forwards and hanging on for dear life :tuttut:

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

:lol: :lol:

Sorry Peter, but thats too funny, especially having met you :redface: :lol:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

That's great Peter

Just not what you'd expect.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup.. that works for me too :wink: Similar antics were done in the Shack from what I hear but not until the 'victim' was in situ :shock:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

...potentially an own goal that... I mean, said crew member might smell great in the cockpit after that one :redface: :-# :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Indeed Toby and someone has to clear up the mess too!! :doh:

I suppose the worst you could ask for was better bladder/bowel discipline and at best.. this practise was only carried out on newbies!! :dunno:

Service life.. the things a chap has to put up with!!! :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!