Part of a Kiwi Electra comes home

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

smithcorp
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Part of a Kiwi Electra comes home

Post by smithcorp »

From the Christchurch NZ Press:

TEAL plane back in Chch

WEDNESDAY, 19 JULY 2006

By MIKE CREAN
A plane that flew regularly into Christchurch in the 1960s will return on Saturday.

This time, only part of the plane will taxi to a standstill, and it will be on the back of a truck.

The Ferrymead Aeronautical Society has bought the front section of Tasman Empire Airline's (TEAL) flagship Lockheed Electra, which flew trans-Tasman services from 1962 to 1972.

The 7m-long section of fuselage, including the cockpit, was shipped from Scandinavia to Lyttelton last weekend.

It will be transported over Evans Pass to Ferrymead Historic Park, where it will go on display.

Negotiations for the Electra have taken nine months, during which the falling value of the dollar left a funding shortfall.

The society hopes to attract further sponsorship for the project.

The Electra was the first turbo-prop aircraft used by TEAL on the Tasman routes.

When TEAL became Air New Zealand, its three Electras were replaced by Boeing 707 jets.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/print/0,14 ... 30,00.html

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Interesting........although I can't place TEAL Boeing 707's

Do they mean DC 8 or Boeing 737?

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Mark C »

When TEAL became Air New Zealand, its three Electras were replaced by Boeing 707 jets
We ("AIR NEW ZEALAND") never .... ever .... operated B707. We selected DC8-52.

B737-200 never entered the Air New Zealand fleet until the NAC/Air New Zealand merger of April 1st 1978.

TEAL became Air New Zealand on April 1st 1966.

Mark C
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but what you thought you heard is not what I meant !