TFT or not TFT

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

TFT or not TFT

Post by DaveB »

Hi Guy's,

Anyone out there got any info as to when one should expect to see their first 'dead pixel' on a TFT monitor?? I turned mine on this evening (it's only used as a second monitor to display FSNav so only gets turned on when I fly) and there it was.. a tiny black dot :curse:

I'd heard of this phenomina with TFT's but really didn't expect to see it so soon after buying one!! I love the amount of desk space saved and the quality of the display but this is already a replacement for one which lasted less than a week before being returned and am begining to lose faith in my newly found technology :roll:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Hi Dave,

Because it's a common thing on TFT's, you normally can't return them unless there are more than 7 dead pixels.
I have even known shops on the net charge extra to check the TFT for you before it's sent out.

Try massaging the area gently with your finger as that sometimes gets them to come to life again.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

There are programs out there that you can get to try and "wake it up" irrc, but I think thats mainly for lazy pixels (stuck on a colour) rather then a dead one. Ive never used one myself.

When I first turned mine one I was thinking that every spec of dust ect was a dead pixel, but thankfully it was pixel perfect.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

andy

Post by andy »

Dave, I have been running two TFT's for a couple of years now, with no dead pixel's. I have a Samsung, and a Viewsonic.
They both run from 8 am untill midnight every day.
It may just be luck of the draw.
Don't give up on them. They are worth their weight in gold in this weather.
:wink:

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

I can't give advice about fixing it unfortunately; but a wise man once told me when buying a TFT check the manufacturers guarantee; some will replace a model based on one dead pixel, others require a certain number, others require a certain percentage in a portion of the screen (and even provide little acetate transparencies to split up the portions so you can check). In my experience you get better customer service by returning to the manufacturer rather than to the retailer, although with the latter I imagine if you go in and kick up enough of a fuss they'll replace/refund anyway. The manufacturers guarantee doesn't take into account peoples individual tolerances. Some folk can live with a number of dead pixels quite happily; but I know for a fact even one would drive me to distraction.

The fact that it's only a week old suggest that if you head back to the retailer and approach them and talk to them in the right way you may get a replacement. If not try the same approach with the manufacturer.

For what it's worth if you buy another, I've had a lot of Acer TFT's and never suffered a bad pixel. One had a dodgy internal connection and Acer were very quick to collect/repair/return, 72 hours it was back with me from Ireland.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Guy's,

Thanks very much for your responses. MicroDirect have been equally rapid and sent me the following link..

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/tftinfo.aspx

So.. it seems that I've just been unlucky with the two AG's I've had. MD were apologetic but as 1 dead pixel falls within the bounds of an 'Acceptable Defect', there is little they can do. I noticed a few moments ago before turning it on, the said pixel is visible as white/grey with the monitor turned off :shock:

Never mind. I can't say hand on heart that I'm the happiest bunny in the world but the dead pixel isn't too obtrusive (even though I find my eye's being drawn to it :doh: ) and the space saved, clarity of display and meagre power consumption still more than compensate for the defect. I wish it'd have lasted a while longer before popping one but I didn't really pay a great deal for it considering what you can pay.

Cheers fella's :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vulcan_to_the_Sky! »

Dave, one dead pixel seems lucky to me.

When I bought my Laptop the guy in the shop said that I could only bring it back under warrenty if it had 7 or more dead pixels. Annoying thing is that I have 6!!! :doh:

airboatr

Post by airboatr »

rigth and if it were my
luck the 7th will come a day after
the warrenty expires :sad:

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Atm my Samsung 913n is having more trouble with flies then dead pixels! I just had another one in, but I think I managed to chase it out of the screen with the cursor :lol:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

andy

Post by andy »

Stick some good old fashioned flypaper to the back of your monitor. :smile: