Military ai

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

andy wrote:
Garry Russell wrote:Cheers Steve

All understood now :k:

Garry
Glad you understood it mate, 'cos it's all very strange to me.
That was understood :k: with a capital :k:

I find it hard enough when aeroplanes get roundels painted on the side.......but when it involved anchors and funnels :think:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

andy

Post by andy »

Garry Russell wrote:
andy wrote:
Garry Russell wrote:Cheers Steve

All understood now :k:

Garry
Glad you understood it mate, 'cos it's all very strange to me.
That was understood :k: with a capital :k:

I find it hard enough when aeroplanes get roundels painted on the side.......but when it involved anchors and funnels :think:

Garry
........and don't forget the cavalry.................. :-# :smile:

andy

Post by andy »

British military AI are out there, but few modellers seem to produce an AI specific model. One good example, is DM's excellent VC10.......

I have just started an AI thread over on my forums, if anyone wishes to ask any questions, or post helpful tips......

http://militaryairfields.com/php/index.php

All welcome, (even chockheads.....) :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Came across this one by Gary Burns

FS2004_AI_Spitfires.zip

and

Aerospatiale Dauphin (original model by Antti Pankkonen)

zaiashh65dolphinbsa.zip plus extra textures (3 British)

I had a play and created a Leeds Heliport runway alongside 14/32 at Leeds Bradford - (Gary Summons variety) - with a reasonable success. I will be trying others later. If anyone would like the Afcad, just shout out, it will provide some idea for trial elsewhere.

Snag is I am buggered if I can remember where I git them from.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

andy

Post by andy »

Here you go, Graham...............
http://www.surclaro.com/downloads_c37_40_dateD.html

Google is such a wonderful thing........... :wink: :lol:

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Thats's the little tinker Steve. Ta's

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Military ai

Post by petermcleland »

andy wrote:
chockhead819 wrote:Don't know if this is the right place but does anyone know of a site I can get uk military aircraft from ie seaking, merlin, harrier & an crab jets. The aircraft i have just stutter my pc.
Crab jets......CRAB JETS..............??? :shock: :huf:
When I retired, the first thing I did was sail across the Atlantic as Mate on a 44 foot yacht...The skipper and owner was an ex RN Chief and during the crossing he taught me to use my sextant (we had no other means of navigation then and no autopilot either!). Anyway, at some time the subject of "Crabs" came up and he asked me if I knew why the Navy called us RAF chaps Crabs. I said I believed it was because in a crosswind we RAF chaps had to fly sideways (Crabbing) to land on the fixed runway. Whereas the Navy chaps just had the ship turned into wind.

However, he then gave me an incredibly complex actual reason for the Navy calling us Crabs...It was long and involved and incredible...But Mike Rose seemed to know exactly what he was talking about and in the end I tended to believe him. The trouble is that I just can't remember what the explanation was now, but vaguely recollect that greatcoats were involved.

Have any of you Navy chaps ever heard of this?

andy

Post by andy »

Peter,
I just found the following on the "Rum Rations" forums

>>Courtesy and © Rick Jolly OBE, Surgeon Captain RN (ret'd.)

Original nickname for any member of the of the Royal Air Force following the the Service's formation on April 01st (no joke) 1918, by an enforced marriage bewtween the Royal Naval Air Service and the Royal Flying Corps.

The colour of RAF uniforms is supposed to have resulted in the diversion of a huge but cancelled export order of the Tsar's Imperial Guard, following the previous year's Revolution in Russia.

The light-blue colour was identical to the greasy mercuric oxide jelly (or crabfat) which was widely issued (to ratings - 'Jack' - in the Royal Navy, or 'Andrew') at the time for the treatment of pevlic 'body lice' - crabs (or 'a dose').

The descriptive term for the RAF as Crabfats is still widely used by senior Naval aviators (and just about every other branch of the UK's armed forces), although now usually abbreviated to merely 'Crabs' in common usage.

Note special use of 'Crimson Crabs' to denote The Red Arrows flying team.
<<
:redface: :smile:

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

andy wrote:Peter,
I just found the following on the "Rum Rations" forums

>>Courtesy and © Rick Jolly OBE, Surgeon Captain RN (ret'd.)

Original nickname for any member of the of the Royal Air Force following the the Service's formation on April 01st (no joke) 1918, by an enforced marriage bewtween the Royal Naval Air Service and the Royal Flying Corps.

The colour of RAF uniforms is supposed to have resulted in the diversion of a huge but cancelled export order of the Tsar's Imperial Guard, following the previous year's Revolution in Russia.

The light-blue colour was identical to the greasy mercuric oxide jelly (or crabfat) which was widely issued (to ratings - 'Jack' - in the Royal Navy, or 'Andrew') at the time for the treatment of pevlic 'body lice' - crabs (or 'a dose').

The descriptive term for the RAF as Crabfats is still widely used by senior Naval aviators (and just about every other branch of the UK's armed forces), although now usually abbreviated to merely 'Crabs' in common usage.

Note special use of 'Crimson Crabs' to denote The Red Arrows flying team.
<<
:redface: :smile:
Yep Andy...All that does ring a bell and I think that is pretty well what I was told...Hmmm, I was chatting to Rick Jolly on the phone a couple of weeks ago...Should have asked him :lol: