The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

To Partition or not to Partition??

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi gang,

knowing how much you guys can be relied on just thinking whether it may be advantagous to partition my hard drive so as to run FS9 and other games on it as apposed to having them running alongside other programmes i.e. on the C drive. I have heard of other people doing this and they have said there are benefits such as improved performance but don't really know whether this would be the case.

Can any-one please advise and if so tell me how to do it?

I am running Win98 2nd Edition and my hard drive is configured to FAT32.

Many thanks.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I wouldn't bother Nigel. The installation will still be on the same physical disc and I wouldn't imagine there would be any performance gains to be had.

Installing the game on a 2nd hard drive would be much better.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

If you can setup a separate partion for temporary files that can reduce disk fragmentation, but getting it setup is a pain. I have never found separate partions on the same disk to be useful.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

ukmil
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ukmil »

i always swear by them, mainly as i spend a huge amount of time, recovering lost files fro many people, when their machines refuse to boot. With a partition, at least you can store all your docs and pics etc in a separate location, so if the dreaded happens, and your PC requires a full windows reinstall, you will not loose those important docs

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

I find it very usefull to have Fs on a seperate drive even a logical drive, if Windows crashes and a reformat is needed you do,nt lose all your Fs stuff if it is on logical drive D you only need to format C.

I still have most of my Fs stuff I brought out here on the hard disk out of the comp I left in the UK, I allways partition as a safeguard for years of work.
Rich

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

:doh: 2 for it 2 against!!!!!!!

Well, after a lot of consideration.......(flipping the coin) think I will take the two against as favourites. I save all my important docs to disc or CD along with backups, just wondered whether it would give any performance benefits and with that question answered, all that is left to say is.....Many thanks guys.

Regards Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.