VFR Scenery FPS issue

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

VFR Scenery FPS issue

Post by Vulcan_to_the_Sky! »

Hi all.

Recently I installed the Central and Southern VFR Scenery by Justflight/Getmapping and it ran fine, getting 12-15fps (which for me is normal, I guess for some of you guys this would be unacceptable :wink: )

Anyway, since that seemed to be ok, I went the whole hog and installed all of the others as well, loaded up flightsim and bang, am lucky to be getting 5fps. Could anyone shed any light on why this is happening, is it because flightsim is having to process all the scenery. I also have British Airports intalled, could this be why?

I have all settings turned up to pretty much full as normally fps isn't an issue.

BTW, I have this as a setup:

1.7ghz Pentium 4
768mb RAM
256mb GFX
5.1 sound card

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Interesting this VttS as I normally get better fps using VFR Photo, probably due to the fact that it kill's autogen. It DOES recommend that you disable 'Extended Terrain Textures' which I admit looks very unsightly at certain alt's but this does improve your framerates. Do you have VFR Terrain too or just the scenery textures??

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

To Be Honest Dave, I Normally get better frame rates with VFR. I Did have the terrain on and it killed flightsim, I think I will uninstall the British Airports and see what happens then.

In regards to the VFR terrain, silly question but when you install it, it seems to replace a lot of textures, will it still provide VFR as before, I take it it just "updates" the textures and mesh,

Cheers,

James.

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Woops, Forgot to mention that at the moment, I have the textures on their own, but might put the Terrain back on if the FPS improve when I get rid of British Airports.

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Indeed It does. I removed British Airports and the Fps zoomed back up to a more healthy 30fps!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Blimey.. so many replies and you made them all!! :lol: :lol:

Re the replacement textures you get with VFR Terrain, you know you don't have to install them but if you do.. it will backup the originals in case you don't like what you see :wink:

Glad you seem to have got it running well again :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Aye I kept adding to it as I tried the different methods, lol.

Now that it seems to be working properly again, I might be adventerous and install the VFR terrain.