Mesh Impact on FPS

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Mesh Impact on FPS

Post by AllanL »

I've been experimenting with the fsgenesis 38m mesh for the US and run into a major headache with the FPS impact.

The graphics card is just the beast that came with the machine, a Radeon 9200 128Mb lump, so I've kept the video settings at a pretty basic level to ensure about 20 FPS. Once I'd added the fsgenesis 38m mesh the frame rate dropped immediately to 5-7 FPS. When I tried fiddling with the graphics settings an announcement popped up that it was switching to software acceleration rather than hardware, and now it won't run above 7 FPS even with the mesh removed.

I've nosed round the fs9.cfg file but can't find a setting line to switch the software acceleration off. I've been round the loop of installing mesh, removing it, re-installing fs9 (which fixes the issue - but is a pain) a couple of times as I wanted to see if anything else was at the root of the problem.

Short of sticking the 4 disks in again, is there any other way round the software acceleration setting once fs9 has gone down the path?

andy

Post by andy »

Allan, if you right click on your desktop, then click PROPERTIES/settings/advanced...............you will come uo with the graphics card settings.
You should be able to restore it in there. :wink:

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

OK, tried that - and couldn't see any option in the umpteen tabs that let me switch on software acceleration. That does not mean it isn't there, I just couldn't find it.

So I went ahead and re-installed fs9, and got back to 20 FPS late last night. Well, Law & Order had finished - and I don't have a case like Jonesey, or it would have been sooner. then when I booted up today, it fell back to 10 FPS for the standard default flight with no changes made. The hardware section of the display options does not show the video card as an option and the various settings that are not available for software acceleration are greyed out and inaccessible.

This was starting to look like a case for a new decent video card, and obviously a Jonesey case to install it in, when I booted up fs2002. Default flight gives 30 FPS and the video options include a X in the box for hardware acceleration.

The windows settings option shows the video card name and also, under monitor advance properties has a tick for VPU recover. This apparently enables the video to reset the accelerator automatically if it stops repsonding to the display driver and produce a report. I've never seen any indication of this being triggered.

As fs2002, and anything else on the pc, seems to run without issues, is this a FS9 featurette designed to irritate me into going retro? Can Jonesey's ear-breathing ladies (or their mothers) help? I'll supply my own Sanatogen and oxygen tent.

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Have you tried installing the latest drivers for your graphics card? Also for the best performance with a 9200 I would recomend turning off the antialiasing and anisotropic filtering unless you cant stand the jagged edged graphics.
One of the things Ive also learnt is that FS2004 is very heavily cpu limted. For example, when I changed from running 1024*768 to 1280*1204 there was allmost no difference in the fps. The more complex mesh means the cpu has more work to do. Closing down any programs running in the background helps as well as unnecessary processes.
I must admit Ive not seen anything about software rendering in FS before.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

After backing everything up onto a couple of DVDs, I got to the point where I've downloaded the latest video driver and version of directX and done a fresh vanilla installation of fs9. No 9.1, no add-ons no nuffink.

Now if I run fs9 immediately after the installation it sees the Radeon card and runs at 30 fps. Re-boot and immediately re-start fs9 and the video card disappears from the hardware options, half the video adjustments are greyed off and inaccessable, and the frame rate comes down to 9-14 fps.

Much more of this and I'll have to abandon fs9 and get on with SWMBO's list of outstanding DIY jobs. :shock:

Meanwhile fs2002 with all manner of add-ons runs along happily at 30 fps.