British jets suffering heat stroke?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Don't get too technical Leif, I learn about it from a book. :lol:

If you're talking about what I'd call the Thrust Index gauges, then they don't do a lot in FS.
The idea is supposed to be that you set the index number & that will tell you if you've got enough power for take off (100%).
That's all they do.

The Top Temp system is perhaps more what you're refering to?
That's what automatically alters the fuel flow to keep EGT in check.
I guess the top EGT for this system may well be adjustable like you say. I didn't know about that.
Top Temp is something I've been playing with recently.
It's a little too advanced for FS though. I have to do it by adjusting throttle setting (which obviously moves the levers) & it's more based on educated guesswork rather than true EGT monitoring.
The net effect is that you slam the throttles fully forward for a take off & the system then sorts out the maximum thrust so you can't overheat the engines.

DM

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Didnt mean to be technical - and yes your right - BTW right now Im rolling down the Lanai Channel at FL240 indicating .72 mach with an EGT of 520
and doing 440 Knts across the ground - not shabby for a almost 50 uear old airplane :)

This is the kind of route the 1-11 was orginally designed for 35-40 min stage length

Oh I forgot all of the above at ISA +3

Leif :smile:

bigred1970
Victor
Victor
Location: Seneca, SC USA about as far NW in South Carolina as you can get.

Post by bigred1970 »

well I have tried with the 475 it is a little better but still took all the runway, (though I only had the flaps at 8). one thing I have noticed is that you just have to take your time with the 1-11, if you are used to modern airliners that you can shoot up to a 30000+ crusing altittude, you just can't do that since even the 475 is relatively underpowered ( I have a crj 700 model that has over 1000 lbs more thrust per engine) I have also noticed that in almost the whole climb and cruise stages of fight you keep the engines at 90% or better. but I am getting the advertised range even though I am burning the whole center tank to get to fl30.

al in all a very interesting plane to fly, you have to think about what you do constantly, you don't have a lot of extra power to get you out of trouble,

by the way, if you do mess up and overheat the engines (I.E the light comes on) in RL dose that mean aborting the flight and a rebuild or is there a certain amount of time that you can be in the red before you really damage something?

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

red

IRL most 1-11s didnt cruise above the High 200s unless they were going A
LONG WAY - ie a 1-11/400 could make Luton to Corfu - but only at mach.735 and then they would step climb to 310 - the 1-11s had no drop out oxygen so were limited to Fl350 and below

Leif

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

TobyV wrote:IIRC Dee Howard were responsible for the 727 Super 27, whereby the podded engines (but not the centre engine) were replaced with JT8D-217s and optionally, winglets were fitted. I have flown on one of those although I cant say I noticed anything in particular about that experience, other than it being less scary than the outbound journey on the bog standard 727 (G-BNNI) :lol:
The Super '27 was a Valsan creation. BF Goodrich now owns the STC for it. Valsan used a variation of the mods that Dee Howard created for the "quiet wing", but stressed the re-engining more than anything else. A few went for the wing and winglet mods, but most just hung the new engines and locked out the Flaps 40 position.

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

From what I know, if the overheat light came on it was considered to be broken & the engineers had to have a go at it.
It would still work, but it was a bad thing.
That could well be more to do with the Top Temp system being broken though. As it was supposed to make it impossible to overheat the engines.

The current model isn't quite right in EGT, I've been working on that with this Top Temp thing, but it's not easy to get the whole EGT range close to real.
You want to be taking off at 18deg flap. 8 is ok if runway length isn't a problem.
And you can take the engines up to 94% for the climb.

DM
Last edited by MALTBY D on 03 Aug 2006, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

David

I sat and cast my mind back over thirty murky years and sat myself back on the jumpseat - a couple fo things spring to mind - the top temp is what was set for takeoff - the pilot not flying would monitor the engine temps as the pilot flying advanced the throttles they both had there hands on the throttle - when the engines the engines stabilised the PNF would remove his hand from the throttles and tap the pilot flyings hand - hence the expression in Dan Air - "Take my hand for takeoff" - I dont remember ever seeing an overtemp light come on - or even hear of one
in actual fact the largest problem with the Spey seems as I remember its
propensity for shearing constant speed drive shafts.I hope you will release your adjustments for the Top Temp.

Leif

bigred1970
Victor
Victor
Location: Seneca, SC USA about as far NW in South Carolina as you can get.

Post by bigred1970 »

DispatchDragon wrote:red

IRL most 1-11s didnt cruise above the High 200s unless they were going A
LONG WAY - ie a 1-11/400 could make Luton to Corfu - but only at mach.735 and then they would step climb to 310 - the 1-11s had no drop out oxygen so were limited to Fl350 and below

Leif
the flight I am trying is from Louisville to Bermuda which is 1248 NM. I could actually remove some fuel if I wanted to I just don't have the range of the plane down good enough to figure out how much to take out. I am mainly gooing to fl30 becase it is cooler and to take advantage of the winds...

crisso
Viscount
Viscount

Post by crisso »

Just adding to the 'heatstroke' chat - I recollect in my Trident Book that, one taxied out at Istanbul for London but, by the time of reaching the Runway hold point, the air temperature exceeded the take-off limit and she had to return to the terminal and wait until it was cooler.