British jets suffering heat stroke?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

DispatchDragon wrote:He likened the 727 hush program to "Trying to muffle a Massey Ferguson tractor"
I do have to laugh at the caption on the tail of Eastern's (?) 727s "Whisperjet" :lol: Even the hush kitted 727s of Sabre branded "Quiet Power" werent really that quiet.

For truely quiet operations you need a foru engined RJ :wink:

IIRC Dee Howard were responsible for the 727 Super 27, whereby the podded engines (but not the centre engine) were replaced with JT8D-217s and optionally, winglets were fitted. I have flown on one of those although I cant say I noticed anything in particular about that experience, other than it being less scary than the outbound journey on the bog standard 727 (G-BNNI) :lol:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I was also reading recently about a Boeing 737 delayed for a hour in the Med waiting for the temp to drop enough to take off without having to leave pax behind.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

LOL Garry

THAT happens all the time here --- We cant even make the Maddog go Fort Collins (KFNL) - to KLAS in the summer (A flight of 1+30 normally) with 150 on board

Dontcha LOVE WAT limitations..............NOT

Leif

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Garry, according to a book I have, that was one of the selling points of the 757 to IT operators in the 80s. A 757 could get off the ground at (Corfu I think it was?) from the same runway and in hte saem conditions in which a fully laden 737-300 could not takeoff.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Point of my post being...........not just British Jets :smile:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

Toby - the only twin jet that isnt limited in departure from KLAS - is the 757 - the RB211 version :wink: taint the aeroplane 'tis the engines

Leif

bigred1970
Victor
Victor
Location: Seneca, SC USA about as far NW in South Carolina as you can get.

Post by bigred1970 »

:lol: now aircraft noise is somthing I can talk about from experence. I lived in orlando right in the landing path of KMCO in the late 70 early 80's. when most of the planes landingt there were dc8-70s, 727's dc9' and such, when one of those flew over you at 1500' you KNEW it, last time I was there visiting a friend, you almost didn't notice the new planes flying over, or if you did it was in the way that you would notice a car driving by.

the loudest thing that I ever heard was when they were building epcot and they had the concord there a few times, on time it just happend to take of on a day where the wind was so that it took off RIGHT over our house, oh and there was a mid level overcast that day too..... lets just say that I remember screaming at the top of my lungs for my mom to come out with me and check it out, and I could not hear my own voice: you could feel the whole house shaking and see stuff rattling across tables....

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

DispatchDragon wrote:Toby - the only twin jet that isnt limited in departure from KLAS - is the 757 - the RB211 version :wink: taint the aeroplane 'tis the engines

Leif
Well the massive moderately swept wings certainly help, but the RB211 powered one was by far more popular than the P&W powered one.

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

It's been very hot here as well over the past few weeks. I now usually fly FS with 'real' weather & noticed the difference with the 1-11.
Especially as I've been trying a new Top Temp control which automatically reduces fuel flow to keep in EGT limits.

Garry is right that the 475 is going to be the best 1-11 for hot & heavy.
And as you say, you've got no chance in a Trident which automatically takes all of a runway regardless! :lol:

So in high temperatures all you can do is reduce the weight.
Slash your payloads & don't take enough fuel. Take off performance will then be fine. :smile:

DM

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

David --

Ive noticed that on the 400 Im having to use balanced power above
about 33C even at seal level - makes those reduced power climbs
all the more challenging - BTW do the EPR setting knobs do nothing
except change the numbers?? it would be nice to be able use EPR
settings to lower the EGT (which they should)

Leif