F1 drivers take their seats......

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Why is Webber being dropped by Williams?? By all acccounts he has been extremely unlucky in that nearly all his retirements have been contributed by mechanical failures, given the equipment he would prove, in my mind, to be an extremely competitive driver that would/could achieve podium finishes given half the chance.

I think Williams are being too impatient in expecting too much from their drivers when in fact it is their reliabililty and/or design of their cars being slightly less competitive than of their oponents.

Incidentally, some news concerning the mass-damper that Renault were using in previous races. By using this system it appears that it improves handling especially when coming off the kerbs as it improves stability etc. This could explain one reason why Renault had been so good during the early stages of the 2006 championship....

http://www.formula1.com/news/4752.html
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

andy

Post by andy »

Nigel,
Webber has gone because he was haggling for a massive pay rise, and Frank wouldn't have it. Williams aren't in a position to pay mega bucks at the moment

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks for the update Steve.........Well, as the saying goes.....'The more they get....The more the want'.....Whatever happened to the days when they did it for the enjoyment!!!!!!!!!

andy

Post by andy »

Nigel H-J wrote:Whatever happened to the days when they did it for the enjoyment!!!!!!!!!
I think they should race for prize money, and scrap the wages.
Just pay them limited expenses. There wouldn't be many multi-millionaires on the track then.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I think they should race for prize money, and scrap the wages.
Just pay them limited expenses. There wouldn't be many multi-millionaires on the track then
Steve..........that's a good idea..........It could even extend to footballers.....The teams get paid on results only......Certainly liven up the game a bit now wouldn't it!!?? :lol:

andy

Post by andy »

Here's an interesting theory..................
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17276.html

Hmmm! :think:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Mmmm, Certainly interesting, with Flavio Briatore being not only his manager but also the boss of Renault that is surely putting the guy on the spot......If offered a contract with Renault it would be interesting to see how Briatore negotiates his wages!! :think: That I think will never happen for how can a manager of a driver turn round and say as team boss...Sorry, you have had a crap season....Your're fired!! :doh:

Angus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Angus »

andy wrote:It isn't the drivers who are doing the dumbing down..............it's the powers that be.

Since EU legislation kicked in, if one of the F1 drivers gets killed, then the people at the top of the sport can be charged with manslaughter.

Max Mosley has already moved his office outside of the EU to distance himself from any consequences, but it is the top managers,(FIA) in the sport who are trying to slow it down.

The drivers are still lapping within a second of last years times even though the engine sizes have been reduced.

If you are going to lay the blame, lay it on the right people. :wink:
I wasn't blaming the drivers themselves, just saying that F1 shouldn't pay them high-risk wages if they don't provide high-risk entertainment.
"The wisest man is not the one who knows the most, but the one who realises he knows the least."

Angus

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I think Sterling Moss has said that back in his day, there was the always the possibility that you wouldnt survive the next weekend's event. Some will argue that that sort of thing is unacceptable in the late 20th and early 21st Centuries, I think his point was thats what set racing drivers apart from other folk. I'm not sure, but I guess in his day the salary wasnt bad but wasnt quite in the league of what Mr Shoemaker makes these days.

If I made the rules I would alter them such that I wouldnt ban any technological innovations. From an engineering point of view this kind of competitive sport encourages innovation the products of which filter to other areas of life. Would I would restrict is the amount of fuel that can be carried and I would ban mid race refuelling. F1 is watched by millions of people and has the power to set an example. If F1 teams were forced to be more environmentally friendly and look into methods of reducing fuel consumption that could only be a benefit to the rest of us. Just my tuppence worth :smile:

andy

Post by andy »

Angus, I suggest that you watch the race tomorrow.
Kimi is on pole, Massa is 2nd.........................Schumi/Alonso are out of the top ten. There will be some racing/overtaking tomorrow. :smile: :lol: :lol: