The Viscount

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

draken79
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

The Viscount

Post by draken79 »

hi all, this is a question for rick!

I was woundering if you had plans to upgrade your viscount models to the standard of the AVRO/HS748, i.e virtual cockpit opening doors etc.

My reason being this is a was very popular aircraft across the globe and would be a perfect project to update.

Just woundered? please dont take this as a request just i was woundering

regards
edward

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Ed.

I know Rick is very busy at the mo (i was speaking with him last night) and there are a few other projects that are currently in production. I would doubt we'll see an update to "the model" before FSX, but Fraser has an improved panel well under way. :worried:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

draken79
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by draken79 »

cool :smile: its a really nice model practical to use etc, just needs a more interactive panel.

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

We must leave Mr Piper to the current affairs of FS9 but I'm sure at some point the Viscount VC will be catered for.. :wink:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

There is the doubt about what will run in FS.X

And Rick is up to his eyes in other things so not for a while yet.

VC's take a lot to make.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

cool its a really nice model practical to use etc, just needs a more interactive panel.
The next versions will have all the automated checklists etc of the 748 although in a moreconvenient format. If there's anything in particular at fault at the moment let me know and I'll see if I can do anything about it.

cheers

Fraser

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

Post by johnhinson »

[quote="draken79"]cool :smile: its a really nice model practical to use etc, just needs a more interactive panel.[/quote]

If the panel I'm using was any more interactive, I'd never get it off the ground. You might find a search on Flightsim.com productive.

John

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed John. This is one panel where you MUST RTFM as failing to do so will have you going nowhere. I fly it quite a lot in the VA and still I can manage to forget something.. inter engine cocks left closed.. outer tank pumps left on.. fuel trim incorrect!! :doh: Most rewarding to fly though and it actually flies very well considering it's age. Fraser's new 810 panel (currently in beta) is a little blinder so if you liked the early version, you'll not be disappointed with v4 :wink: He's giving the 802/806 panel the same treatment too so expect both in the not too distant future :smile:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

Post by johnhinson »

DaveB wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed John. This is one panel where you MUST RTFM as failing to do so will have you going nowhere. I fly it quite a lot in the VA and still I can manage to forget something.. inter engine cocks left closed.. outer tank pumps left on.. fuel trim incorrect!! :doh: Most rewarding to fly though and it actually flies very well considering it's age. Fraser's new 810 panel (currently in beta) is a little blinder so if you liked the early version, you'll not be disappointed with v4 :wink: He's giving the 802/806 panel the same treatment too so expect both in the not too distant future :smile:

ATB

Well Dave, perhaps it is time I came clean and admit that I have never got the Viscount off the ground with one of the two panels I downloaded. If I remember there was a choice between a BEA and non-BEA panel and in the end I settled for the one I could get to work :o) And that one took me about four hours of studying for the first successful flight.

In all honesty, I'm not sure I'm into excessively complicated panels - you end up doing the work of the pilot, copilot and flight engineer and I don't have six arms. Obviously we all have our levels of competence and specific tastes, so I don't criticise the designers - but somewhere in the middle between simple and complicated is my preference.

Of all the turboprops, I still think I get the most pleasure from the Viscount model.

Best wishes,

J

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi John,

They would be the two choices mate.. one for the 802/806 and the 810 for that and all after :wink: To be honest, if you start with engines running and fuel in all 4 tanks and don't go high enough to get icing (already sounds a lot doesn't it).. you can get away with flying it straight out of the box.. this applies to both panel versions. It doesn't take long to get into a routine and for the new versions, there'll be a visual checklist (as in the 748) to actually show what you've done/forgotten :wink:
The prob with the tanks was only highlighted when we started flying them in the VA which starts you from cold. For the majority of the flights, no fuel is loaded into the outer tanks so in order to start (to get engines 1 and 4 to start that is).. inter engine cocks have to be open, outer tank pumps have to be off and that's it. No such problems with fuel in the outboard tanks :wink:

There is enough detail there to be over and above the norm giving the pilot a greater feeling of being there but without (for my part anyway and I always use myself as the lowest common denominator!!) going too deep or being a 'wash and go' default style setup :smile: I'll PM you my 'easy start' procedure if you want to give her another try John :wink:

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!