Best and worst of Payware

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

The Trident was probably the most hated aircraft ever to the residents near Heathrow..such was it's high noise level on landing. It was a type that everyone knew the name even if that was the only name they knew.

But as to the enthusiasts it was very popuplar due to it's comparitive rarerity away from the UK and achieved almost cult status.

So apart from the above who moaned about the Tridents, many of which were probably other types as well it was very popular.

I can honestly say overall it was a popular aeroplane and people who I spoke to that flew in Tridents loved them.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Also a very safe and reliable aircraft. If you look at the list of accidents an incidents on my website, you'll see all are attributed to human error, or terrorist/criminal action, none to mechanical failure.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Indeed Toby and contrary to poular myth it wasn't difficult to take off, it like anything else had is figures and procedures and that was that.

Those same seem to forget DC 8-61 and their 11,000 ft take off runs

Garry
Garry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I was lucky enough to fly in a Trident from LHR to Lisbon back in '76. Smashing flight, smashing aircraft.. felt like I was a movie star :wink: As for the sound.. well, 3 RR Speys in close formation.. plenty of noise, plenty of smoke.. Classic :wink: :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Town of_Hgate
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Town of_Hgate »

Methinks you chaps protest too much :tuttut: Trident just did not cut it in the harsh world of commercial airliners. Though it really pains me to say it, the Americans did a better job.

Anyway trying to pull this thread back on topic, have any of you ever tried any of the Mega Airports series?

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Actually DH did a better job and Boeing were considering building it under licence.

Its systems were very advanced for the time as was the engineering.

Then DH was forced to change it into a BEA version that BEA as it turned out didn't want either :sad:

Garry
Garry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

If, the Trident had been a bit longer and been powered by Medways rather than Speys, and if we had been in a position to build it in larger numbers then the Trident would probably have outsold the 727 IMHO. Its been said that even if more orders for it had been received, they wouldnt have been able to build them fast enough, to which I think the answer would have been to create a second production line at Chester. Most of the constituent companies of BAC, HSA and their BAe successor have often (if not always?) been scratching around for enough to keep the workers occupied before the inevitable closure of a factory and slimming down of the operation when not enough work was available.

Considering the rate of production we achieved during WWII, the ability to do it here certainly existed, if only there was a product worthy of such mass production in all respects.

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

I wish I could go back in time and tell BEA to STFU and then tell HS to build "their" aeroplane. :smile:

Anyway Back on topic. I reckon the Aerowrx KingAir B200 is a cracking bit of software.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

jonesey2k wrote:I wish I could go back in time and tell BEA to STFU and then tell HS to build "their" aeroplane. :smile:

Anyway Back on topic. I reckon the Aerowrx KingAir B200 is a cracking bit of software.
Trouble is Jonesey BEA were who it was being built for and at that time the only customer.

So the choice DH had was BEA or nothing.

Garry
Garry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

The thread seems to have drifted a little - but anyone ever thought about the
outcome to civil aviation if DH had designed the comet with oval windows from the getgo????

Leif