Best and worst of Payware

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Garry Russell wrote:The Abacus that is 'slagged' is the company now known as First Class Simulations

This is nothing to do with Abacus the creator of FSDS, Fs Repaint and other superb programmes.

Garry
Might not be Garry; as Rick pointed out, their payware aircraft are not actually much cop - the only 'Try&Buy' I've ever bought from them is the CL-415. And the aircraft in Flight Deck III were legendarily awfyl; from the screenies, those in FD4 look to be much better.

I've always thought it rather ironic that the company which made such good design tools produced such poor aircraft themselves. :dunno:

AndyG

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Guys

They have produced some really good models at times.

they moved over to producing tools and utilities mainly.

I had almost all the FS2000 stuff they produced model wise & they where cutting edge then.

I don't think they aim any of their models at hardcore simmers like us it's more for the new user so that it's easy to get into FS without wondering what killed the engine :shock:

Abacus recently released a Civil Air Patrol pack for FS9 and i have a beta and i must say it's a lot of fun to fly search and rescue missions.

this is where they have the edge as there are some very nice touched in the package that noone else has done.

EZScenery is also Brilliant too and i would be lost without it.
I think Peter uses it too for his scenery but i might be wrong.

Regards
Rick :wink:

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Fair comment Rick. I'm certainly finding FSDS a lot easier than GMAX, and EZ-Scenery is also a joy. I've got FS-Repaint, but still prefer to use DXTBMP and Paintshop.

AndyG

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I don't use FS repaint as a painting programme but it is excellent to quick view paints without having to call them into FS.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Garry Russell wrote:I don't use FS repaint as a painting programme but it is excellent to quick view paints without having to call them into FS.

Garry
Yep, that's what I do with it.

AndyG

LeeC
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by LeeC »

Well for me CaptinSim produce some of the finest models for FS - Just can't get enough of that Herc! :prayer: likewise AlphaSim are getting better and better with each new release.

Wouldn't go near Abacus for AC, but would agree that their software tools are pretty neat.

Best
Lee

John R
Meteor
Meteor

Post by John R »

I've got a few too many pay-ed for's.. (wine and debit cards don't mix.. :roll: )

So it's down to frequency of use for me.

Modern, PMDG 744, pax and freight, followed closely by the SSTSIM Concorde. This is on the basis of hours flown only. (I have the PSS Conc.. don't fly it)
The LDS 767 is up there but I don't select it enough. The one I fly the least is the 'Feel there' ERJ145 PIC, the FMC is just to difficult to update with procedures.

For me the best Mil jet is the latest purchase the Iris F-4M, just landed this, brilliant!
Least flown is the Alpha TSR2, sorry, but I'd forgotten I had it... But a soft spot for the DSB Hawk, my stamp is on the real one somewere... :-$
Warbird, Realair Spitfire Mk14 the VC is so smooth... least flown is the AH Seafire's I'm spoilt by the Mk14 I think.
Scenery, UK2000 by a long way.
Least favorite, or least flown, PSS A330/A340, not even got an add-on texture set (I don't think its even installed at the moment).
I wish I hadn't bought.. FS Passengers..... :think:
Waiting for next, PMDG A320 series.

But after saying all that, currently most hours in Rick 748, then Dave's 1-11, with Del's Dove. all flown for our VA, but still learning the 1-11...

John

Sundog
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Sundog »

I'll just list my favorite add-ons.

Aerosoft's Beaver. A great rugged STOL that I can fly to just about any airfield. And Cape Kennedy. I gotta have my NASA stuff :)

Carenado's T-34. I just really like it and I also have a alot of their other planes, but the Cherokee and the C-182RG are the other two I use the most from them.

I really like the FFS RV-7, but it's VC hit's my vid card kind of hard on the frames.

The FSD Cessna Skymaster (C-337 I think?)

The Eaglesoft CX. It's just a beautiful bird and a joy to fly.

The T-37 from T-37 sim. It's great having an "accurate" jet trainer to scoot around the FS skies in, but I need the manual open when I fly it, because I don't fly it often enough to know the procedures.

The CS F-104 and C-130. My understanding is the C9 F-104 has a better (more accurate) FDE, but I just love this plane. It's so well modeled. The same for the C-130.

For Modern Military Jets, I fly the Iris MiG-29, MiG-27 (Always a favorite with that duck nose), Harrier, and their F-14. Also, the Alphasim F-22, B-2, Lightning (late series single seater, F.2 and F.6?) and V-22. I would add their Eurofighter Typhoon, but they have the inlet lips always extended/down except during supersonic flight which drives me nuts. They're only down for high alpha and for a little more airflow at very low speeds. So I don't fly it because of that. It's one of those things that just annoys the hell out of me.

The PSS Vulcan. Loud and Proud :D

The Wop He-219. It's a cool plane I was modelling once and I think they did a good job on it.

Former payware, but now freeware; Bill Lyons Graf Zeppelin. What a relaxing ride.

The entire Georender series. I think Darrington and Forks are my favorites, though. I like the latest airfield, but since I've installed Ground Environment that and another airfield crash my system when I try flying to them. I think it's a texture issue, but I have too much work to do to spend time sorting it now. I could just remove ground environment, but I'm going to upgrade to the pro version instead because I like how much it improves the look of FS.

France-VFR add-ons. Alot of them are kind of hard on my system, but I get alot of my best screenshots over them.

Cloud9's Fly the Lakes and Aviano airbase. I have every intention of getting their Phantom (It's on my birthday list :D ).

kikko
Comet
Comet

Post by kikko »

I tell only the best ones in my opinion :

Wings of Powers
Carenado
Plane design
Real Air
Captain Sim
Cloud 9

and it seems the new Safir from this new maker.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Rick Piper wrote:EZScenery is also Brilliant too and i would be lost without it.
I think Peter uses it too for his scenery but i might be wrong.
Most of my scenery is using standard Library items from FS9 itself and I just use raw XML for placing that...However, for the nitty gritty details and bits and pieces I have used RW12 and more recently EZScenery...I must say that EZScenery is the best handler of Libraries that I have come across and I like it very much...I used it to position articles from the recently published Tongass Fjords libraries and will certainly continue to use it in the future.

EZScenery is just a bit knacky to use to its full capabilites but by using the manual you can quickly get the hang of it. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants to make scenery the LEGO way rather than to actually create new things. It has made things a lot easier for me.

BTW...The toughest task I took on was hand coding in XML the IFR approaches to McLeland Field. I do NOT recommend this to anyone...better to develop an existing site that already has its own approaches.

My most used and absolute favourite piece of Payware is FSNav :think: