Reduced speed limits in Lincolnshire!!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Reduced speed limits in Lincolnshire!!

Post by Nigel H-J »

I don't buy the local evening paper but was slightly shocked at this proposal in reducing the speed limit on roads in Lincolnshire to.........40mph!! Should this suggestion become a reality then could we see it taken up in other counties?

I think Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership who appear to back this proposal (if that's what it is) ought to waken up, for speeding is not always the cause of crashes although the result after a high speed crash is going to prove more likely fateful for those involved but at the end of the day it all comes down to attitude when behind the wheel. Therefore it is basically down to education.......education and....... more education of the motorist to change their attitudes towards driving.

Can you imagine having to drive throughout Lincolnshire or for that matter England at 40mph........attention of the driver would wander....Yawn!!....Are we there yet?.......No dear, just another four hours to go!!!

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/displ ... ebarsearch
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Totally agree with you Nigel. Having recently made several of the longest journeys by car I have ever made, concentration is definitely worse at slower speeds (esp. when it would be perfectly safe to travel faster) and on occasions when cars have been forced to slow down, it actually feels more stressful.

Then of course who would actually stick to the limits? My experience suggests very few people actually stick to 70 on motorways so who would stick to 40 on an A road if asked to? My guess is that a good percentage of people who didnt would turn the 'law abiding' motorists into [slow] moving obstacles, again not a nice feeling and not safe either.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

All these speed limits p!ss me right off. You pay so much attention to the speedometer and less on the road ahead.

Shame they don't spend the money from speeding fines on updating the state of the roads in the UK.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

andy

Post by andy »

I remember when they first brought in the 56mph limit on the motorway for hgv's. It felt like I'd lost top gear.

The thought of a 400 mile round trip at that speed was disheartening to say the least. :smile:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

All the time they go on about set belts, speeds, crumple zone and all the things that make road travel safer by reducing injuries.......forgetting that the important thing is to get people to stop crashing.

Crashes are often cause by folks not concentrating, a situation that could be worse with a lower limit and sheer stupidity and bad driving which is dangerous at any speed.

It the rules of motorways were obeyed there would be fewer accidents.

So it's a case of getting driving to improve, then perhaps some speed limits could be increased to help the congestion.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

andy

Post by andy »

.............and ban "mobies".
There should be a devices which disables then when inside a vehicle. :smile:

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Totally agree on that one Steve. Theres a blind bend at the bottom of my road, which is a narrow 30mph street, unfortunately with an A road at either end and a heavily parked over blind bend near the bottom. Van man nearly went straight into me a couple of weeks ago because he was speeding down the road and round the bend with one hand up to his ear on the phone :doh:

Steve, since I know you have lorry driving experience, could you possibly post what the current speed restrictions on HGVs and LGVs are for my curiosity?

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

We have a section of road in Stoke Fleming with a 20 MPH limit...When it was introduced I stuck to it for a while and then they insulted our intelligence with many, many 20s in eliptical white circles on the road. At this point I gave up driving it at 20 MPH and I have noticed that absolutely EVERY driver has followed suit...Every driver now drives that section at the former sensible limit of 30 MPH.

It has been in force now for a couple of years and I made a mental note to remember how many drivers I came across that were actually observing the 20 MPH limit...The count so far is ZERO :smile:

steveS4SSL
Meteor
Meteor

Post by steveS4SSL »

I would suggest this idea would result in reduced tourism and businesses moving to counties with more common sense!

Why doesn't the country do something more useful....ban vans from lane 3 of the motorway, and start issuing tickets to idiots that think they should stay in the middle lane when there are no cars in lane 1!!! Twice this week I have seen the M6 with lane 2 and 3 chocker and lane one about 1% used!!!
Steve
Trident Preservation Society member and keeper of XE624!
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.xe624.org
http://www.hs121.org
http://www.zulukilo.org.uk
http://www.cottesmore-ag.com

AndyMinx
Victor
Victor

Post by AndyMinx »

Yeah note it was an insurance company who commissioned the survey too!! :roll:

Frankly if it was to be introduced; I think there would be serious protests, mainly along the lines of driving at 60 anyway!

Like 1 person said; Just 'cause its a 40 limit, it wont stop people speeding!

Its these abscent-minded t**sers that really p**s me off! :curse:

Still, frankly I dont think we'll see any limits changing soon!

Cheers,
Andy M.