**FSX DEMO: OUT THIS EVENING ON GAMESPOT**

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Hi All,

Downloaded the demo and gave it a go. First impressions... not a quantum leap from FS9 but is clearly better in parts, albeit with a buggy demo. It does at first appear a bit like CFS3 with an apparenly cartoony image but that seems to be how blurred scenery looks in FSX - when the blurries clear it is much better; whether scenery remaining blurry is the result of the performance issues I couldn't tell you (if not then :sad: ). I flew most of the default a/c over day/night/dawn/dusk and I thought it quite enjoyable (the dawn colour pallette is far too cold for summer in the Carribean but would work well in Northern Europe or US).

Given the demo is designed to show off the visuals then (if you ignore the performance issues and bugs - a bit of an ask I know) then it does this quite well (the shiny shiny sea is rubbish though). What we can't tell from this is is how the flight dynamics work and I suppose for that we will have to wait for the full release :worried: .

If all the performance issues are fixed and all of the identified bugs then it is likely that I will buy it (anyway got to have something as a Birthday pressie).

Regards,
Chris

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Well chaps after being away for a while due to work etc, and then reading this, it seems a real kick in the dogs. I was looking forward to a possible better release, but it looks like that's out of the window. They surely can't do much to improve it from between now and the autum release? I will wait until it's being released and see the reactions of the other users. I honestly think though that this is the end for me and upgrading to a new edition. I am happy with FS9 at the mo, so why rock the boat.

Rick, love your sea stuff, didn't even know you did things nautical. Bet Dave B is impressed.
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

I removed most of my post as I can sum it up in a few words without fear of upsetting any delicate ones out there... Dont Like it ...Uninstalled it... Won't be buying it... There all done now and no teddies thrown from the pram :roll:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Roger
Comet
Comet

Post by Roger »

I can't see as much as I'd like of the demo, because my system isn't up to it. But what I've seen tells me that MS have been trying as hard as they can, to help us 'willingly suspend disbelief' with a now, rather elderly sim engine. I'd guess that we are only seeing FsX because someone at MS persuaded the powers that be, that there was life in the FS series yet. I think it's probable that even with the increased commerciality of FsX, that we won't see anymore in the Fs series. This could well be the swan song of the most open architecture flight simulator we've seen. So love it or hate it, it'll be a milestone in the sim world and they'll get my money and so will the hardware suppliers as I upgrade to get the most out of FsX.

Roger

airboatr

Post by airboatr »

My last ditch hope is FS has pulled a
flavor switch like coca cola did with their
soda pop
only to gives us the real thing back
which made all the fans Soooooooo greateful
:-#

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

they'll get my money and so will the hardware suppliers as I upgrade to get the most out of FsX.
Sadly this is what MS and the suppliers want a big cash injection for a piddle poor FS.. I had the good fortune to use FS2004 last night for 30 mins as I don't like "Love Island" (thank God for reality crap TV that my wife likes) I have had too much on of late to "play" but I had real weather UK 2000 Scenery and one of Garry's paint jobs and it all looked stunning...so why do I need to waste money on a Tom and Jerry cartoon FS x ??
I will keep my money in my pocket not Bill's :wink:

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Chaps,

Being one of the now thousands of beta testers for FSX I thought I would share with you my list of bugs and issues to date (after much - well fairly much - testing). As you will see there are some interesting features - I particularly like the independent wing/engine on the baron.

As pretty much requested on another site I'll be posting this list on the MS feedback site. I think they're going to be hard put to fix this lot (and no doubt lots of other bugs) in time for the release of FSX but I still have to declare myself as pretty keen on buying it when it comes out (changed from very keen).

Bugs found in FSX Demo.

1. CRJ700 - when viewing from "Aircraft - landing gear" part of the jet pipe of left hand engine is transparent.

2. CRJ700 - simulated engine fire - fire occured, put fire out but engine continued to operate perfectly normally - the fire did not fail the engine.

3. DHC2 - when flying in wet weather a "spray" effect is visible a few feet below the a/c.

4. Scenery - Many autogen objects are not complete when viewed from different angles (some angles OK - some angles object appears to have missing parts).

5. Scenery - Ground lights (except runway lights) do not appear at dawn or dusk - even when quite dark.

6. Baron - In heavy turbulence (e.g. heavy storm), when viewed in VC mode the left wing together with its engine moves relative to the fuselage; the movement is fore and aft as well as up and down.

7. Baron - When one of two engines is feathered and throttled back visual image from outside is exactly the same as the running engine.

9. Scenery - airport fence obscures objects making them appear to float in the air.

General Issues.

1. The spray effect is too smoke like - water is much heavier than smoke and this is not reflected in the sim - this is most noticable when moving at slow speed on the runway which still shows quite a bit of spray/smoke.

2. Change of sound effect when moving around outside the a/c - far too pronounced and gives the impression of changes of engine throttle (spool up/down).

3. Still very visible lines that separate some different weather layers/cloud layers.

4. Effect of changes of rain direction too pronounced - e.g. when changing point of view when outside the a/c in wet weather the angle of rain changes dramatically then settles to vertical when point of view change is complete.

5. Polygon objects appear starkly against background when moving up through cloud layers when close to ground.

6. Still no way to declare an emergency in ATC (on the strength of this demo the ATC seems little changed from FS9).

7. Hot buttons for ATC, MAP, GPS available in 2D cockpit not shown in VC cockpit (showing such buttons in both cockpits is now pretty much standard practice for many add-ons both freeware and payware).

Edit - I should state that the above is purely from the demo released by MS and not from any official beta version. I count myself one of the many many beta testers because I downloaded the demo and gave it a try.

Regards,
Chris
Last edited by ChrisHunt on 19 Aug 2006, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Thanks for the list Chris, after reading all the bugs it convinces me not to buy even more....

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Me to!
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

andy

Post by andy »

ChrisHunt wrote:Chaps,

Being one of the now thousands of beta testers for FSX I thought I would share with you my list of bugs and issues to date

Bugs found in FSX Demo.

Edit - I should state that the above is purely from the demo released by MS and not from any official beta version. I count myself one of the many many beta testers because I downloaded the demo and gave it a try.

Regards,
Chris
Chris, with the utmost respect, having downloaded the demo does not make you one of the beta testers. You have tried a very old demo of the sim, which is not up to date, and has bugs which have already been rectified.
People who have not seen the real thing are going to get the wrong impression from this, and it will not help any of us.

Most of your coments revolve around the default aircraft. Since when have default aircraft been good? I don't care about them. Who fly's them? I don't.
They have to be there for the novice, but anyone with the slightest knowledge of FS will load third party aircraft. It keeps the aircraft designers out of mischief. :wink:

There are issues with FSX, but they are being rectified on a daily basis, and there is a bit to go yet. Beta 3 has just been released, and there are two more to go yet. You are looking at Christmas for the finished thing.

Scenery designers have the most work to do, but I can tell you now, this sim has a lot of potential, and I am in it 100%. This is the best thing since we got mesh terrain in FS7.

Keep an open mind, guy's. :wink: :smile: