Vulcan XH558

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Vulcan XH558

Post by delticbob »

As some of you already know Vulcan XH558 (housed at Bruntingthorpe Airfield) is in the midst of a rebuild to airworthy status - or a trip to the scrapman.

I have been a supporter of this worthy cause for several years & yestrday receieved a rather chilling letter - to the effect that if sufficient funding to complete the overhaul, (which is about 50% done anyway), was not in plce within the next few weeks, then the overhaul will fail.

It was made quite clear at the outset of the stripdown that (at that time) should suffient funding be unavailable then the aircraft would be scrapped, as the cost of re-assembling it would be too high

Seems the deadline is the end of this month.

There is more on this story at air scene UK http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/index.htm and click on the link "Vulcan in Crisis - How You can help".

At the bottom of the page is a box to fill in your details (a patition) which will shortly be forwarded to the HLF (Heritage Lottery Fund - who granted funds to start the overhaul), asking them to 'bridge that gap'

As one who remembers these fine aircraft doing circuits at RAF Finningley & generally upsetting the locals (& they think the current users are noisey) I am very saddened.

If you have time & your conscience nags visit this site, fill the form & hope that the likes of Branson, Sugar etc with plenty of £ come to the rescue.

Thankyou for your time.

Bob
Last edited by delticbob on 11 Aug 2006, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Added my tuppence worth Bob.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

simtrac
Meteor
Meteor

Post by simtrac »

and me
Simon

righthandseat
Meteor
Meteor

Post by righthandseat »

Me too.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

RHS, in light of your avatar, you might like this if you havent already found it:
http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/commercials/co ... ian1983.rm

righthandseat
Meteor
Meteor

Post by righthandseat »

I remember it well! :lol: :dance:
Returning to the Vulcan; I believe the Southend Vulcan should be going down the runway this week-end on an open day.