Thinking of buying a faster CPU.

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Thinking of buying a faster CPU.

Post by Nigel H-J »

CB or anyone else might be able to help, I have a P111 600 with 628 SDRAM 2x250 + 1x128

Until I can afford a new computer and knowing the probable difficulties of locating one, I was thinking of seeing if I can get hold of a 900 or even 1G CPU.

Now the question is, if I can obtain one, would I benefit from that with improvement on FS9?

Any input greatly received (No matter how big or small)!!

Regards Nigel
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Nigel. I went through this difficulty several times over the last 2 or 3 years. I found that for FS9 you need a much bigger upgrade than was the case with earlier FS versions. the other problem I ran into was that the format of cpus has changed so much ( number of pins etc) that to upgrade significantly I needed a new mobo each time. Eventually I found that in fact if one wanted to upgrade screens etc it was cheaper to buy a good proprietary setup which was configured to my spec. I am now on a
Dell with 3.2 P4 with 1024 SGRAM and X600 Radeon which runs FS9 well even with 2 screens

After a lot of experimentation I am convinced that it is the CPU which counts for FS9 - the graphics card is not critical provided it's reasonable in the first place, and if it comes to a choice between blowing the budget on a better cpu or a high end graphics card, I would go for the cpu every time. Another ( slightly contentious) view is that for FS9 - but certainly not for other things - a Pentium works better than an equivalent Athlon

try Tom's hardware website for very useful comparisons, reviews etc

FWIW Chris

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Chris, I was just thinking of buying an old CPU from the days of the P111s' just to give a bit extra horse power providing that it matched my motherboard.

Thanks for the HU.

Regards Nigel

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

May I ask how long you think it will be before you do upgrade the PC?
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Chris, due to home improvements........(Have to keep the wife happy) It now looks to be around July or August of next year. :redface: :sad:

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

In which case, a faster P3 wouldn't be a bad idea mate.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

You could try overclocking it. A few years back I had a 600MHz Celeron which ran quite happily at 900MHz with a larger heatsink / fan.
Dave G.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Nigel

What is your motherboard? Some reckon to have a limit on the CPU speed that you can upgrade to.

I've recently bought a 1.0 and 0.933 GHz CPU on Ebay for reasonable prices (£8-65 and £2-95, respectively).

The 1 Ghz go for more than they should, so a 933MHz can be a bargain for liitle loss in performance.

The P3 CPUs faster than 1 Ghz mostly need a different motherboard.

Ian

TomNocturnal
Meteor
Meteor

Post by TomNocturnal »

You know, you could build a system now, for less than £400 that would run FS9.

I built mine about 2 years ago, and it cost £514. (monitor not inc.) 2.3Ghz AMD chip. A78NX-E Deluxe Mobo, 1.2gb ram. Radeon Saphire 256 Gpu. - Runs flight sim sweet as a nut! all-be-it with no anti-aliasing and a few setting on medium...
(I plan to upgrade the Gpu, asap. Either X800, or GT7900x??)

Prices are coming down all the time!

You could just by 1 or 2 bits per month, coming to no more than £60p/m and build it up like one of those:
"Build-yourself-a-computer" magazines!

That way, you can put all your extra money into the wife! :wink: and still have a new "toy" every month. Although, its slightly depressing just having a CPU, and a few wires! :lol:

Either that, Stick it all on ya credit card, and pay it off monthly! That way, you have toys up front, and dont mind paying it off! :smile:

Or persuade your wife that it is a home improvement in the fact that:
"You will not be around as often - meaning less meals for her to cook, less tidying for her to do and all-in-all, less stress for her!!!" Worked for me! :dance:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Thanks Chris, I thought about holding off on the idea but it is quite frustrating using FS9 at the mo.

Tom, had thought of purchasing bit by bit but unfortunately my monthly allowance has been cut for home improvements.
Or persuade your wife that it is a home improvement in the fact that:
"You will not be around as often - meaning less meals for her to cook, less tidying for her to do and all-in-all, less stress for her!!!" Worked for me!
No chance!! tried saying that before to which her reply was......."Nothing changed there then"!!!!!

Ian & DaveG, might take up your options, would be in an affordable way to go for the time being.....Thanks.

Regards Nigel.