It's todays "political correctness gone mad" story

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

It's todays "political correctness gone mad" story

Post by AndyG »

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Ordinarily I'm straight onto PC rubbish but I can kind of see their point. If 56% of the audience are children (and the rest perhaps adults reminiscing) then smoking shouldnt be portrayed in a positive light on a kid's show. The adult viewers have already made their decisions but the kids are impressionable.

In fairness, when Tom and Jerry cartoons were made the world was a different place and the dangers of smoking well not understood and well known like they are now. If someone were making a new cartoon tomorrow I'm sure they wouldnt put a smoking scene in it.

If you had posted that Winnie the "Pooh and Piglet" had been changed to "Winnie the Pooh and Doglet" or that in the remake of "Dambusters", that Gibson's dog had been renamed "Rainbow", I would be of a different opinion however :lol:

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

I doubt that seeing smoking in Tom and Jerry has any influence on kids.

Peer pressure more like.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I seriously sometimes wonder about the mentality of people who see bad content in innocent things. :k:

I wouldn't think the children notice it as such and there can't be many kids that go off the rails after getting bad ideas watching Tom & Jerry cartoons :think:

Either these folks have a problem or they just want to feel important by controlling other folks.

Can't be much left in T & J anyway since they took the 'violence' out. :huf:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Garry Russell wrote:I seriously sometimes wonder about the mentality of people who see bad content in innocent things. :k:
:worried: Oh dear :lol: :redface:

Well I mean a general reduction in the amount of smoking and the perceptions created by the manner in which it is depicted could help to disuade more impressionable kids. Peer pressure is undoutedly the reason for most kids to start smokinh but one kid has to be the first one in the class to do it and they have to take their cue from somewhere.

Didnt know the violence had been removed from T&J... does that mean Tom is no longer allowed to trap Jerry's tail in the moustrap whilst Jerry continues to run and not understand why he isnt going forwards? :lol:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Toby

When I wrote that no one else had replied yours happened while I was writing....so ther is no reference there to any other post :lol:

The early cartoons had a lot of slap at slapstick gunpowder etc.

When they started remaking them they had to do away with all that so called violence and the older ones were not allowed to be shown a lot of the time

It's all very silly

Children are not that stupid.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Gentlemen, there are times you scare me! :lol: :poke:

The violence was never 'taken out' of Tom and Jerry; there was a campaign back in the '70s (good ol' Mary Whitehouse's lot, if memory serves) but it was stopped in its tracks when the PM of the day, Ted Heath, said that he was a big fan. As for taking out the smoking; the early T&J cartoons are absolute classics (indeed several won Oscars, including my favourite, Mouse in Manhattan), that would be on a par with the trend a few years back to 'colorize' classic B&W films (the American spelling is used deliberately btw).

I'm not a regular PC-basher, in fact people here have undoubtedly recognised that I am a woolly liberal pinkie treehugger. :wink: I just think this is the thin edge of a scary wedge; where do you stop, ban Romeo and Juliet because of the age issues?

Rant over, puts anorak on, goes home to watch Tom & Jerry.

AndyG
(Non smoker, and has never hit anybody with a frying pan!)

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Didnt Mary Whitehouse eventually get her comeuppance with a certain Mr Edwards and his gunge tank?

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

TobyV wrote:Didnt Mary Whitehouse eventually get her comeuppance with a certain Mr Edwards and his gunge tank?
I assume you mean Mr Edmonds? No, pretty unlikely that ever happened; one member of her "Viewers and Listeners Association" got her 'comeuppance' when she came to give a talk to my 6th From General Studies group, poor lady, she was virtually eaten alive! :redface:

AndyG

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Yes I did mean Mr Edmonds :doh: Temporary brain blip there :lol: I can remember many times he said he was trying ot get her in teh gunge tank but I cant remember if he succeded!?