Whats your top three favourite Aircraft of all time?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

First, I said I mispoke and meant to write fighter and not "airplane". That's not changing the rules, that's admitting an error.

Second, VF-17 had problems initially with their Carrier Quals because of the issues of the early F4U-1 Corsairs, but they completed the Quals and then the Navy sidelined them to continue working on fixing those issues for several months before shipping them to the Pacific serve a Combat Tour as a land-based squadron. However, technically, they were a "operationally capable" squadron during that whole time. It was part of their desire to have the Corsair as a ship-based and not a land-based aircraft.

Also, there is a huge difference between a one-off "experimental" aircraft (S6B) and a prototype (XF4U) and a production prototype (XF4U-1). During the 1940s, the idea of the "Y" for production and service prototypes had not yet been introduced, so any aircraft not destined for regular squadron service got an "X" before it's designation, even if fully combat capable.

The XF4U-1 exceeded 400 MPH in a service test (which meant that it recorded by multiple independent sources to confirm accuracy as was required by service tests) in level flight on 1 October 1940. From that moment on, per the Navy contract, every aircraft produced by Vought had to meet or exceed that specification to be accepted by the Navy and Vought to be paid. The US Navy had a different acquisition program than the Army at the time and were very strict about ensuring that each aircraft met the required performance measures in an acceptance flight prior to the Navy paying for that aircraft. As a result, several aircraft were actually rejected by the Navy and had to either be reworked or were devoted to follow-on flight tests as a company aircraft. In this way, US Navy contracts are different from Army ones of the time. The Army only required that the aircraft make the goal, not ensure that every follow-on aircraft did so via physical test.

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Chris,

without wishing to sound rude, you have yet again continued to dominate or should I say attempt to dominate a thread with statistics and facts about matters that's don't really concern the main topic.

The points you raise are giving you prime opportunity to speak to others in an argumenetative fashion thus resulting in a rather boring and pointless discussion that I for one don't really give two hoots about.

The aim of the thread was a little bit of fun to see what generally is the most popular Aircraft amongst the CBFSIM community. Why do you have to turn it into a statistical and factual account of nonsense?

You have created six posts which quite frankly and quite blatantly throw the thread completely off topic. I find this annoying and rather rude.

So do me a favour Chris. If you want to correct people's statements or open up an argument. Do it via PM and not on my thread.

Rant over.
Last edited by VEGAS on 25 Aug 2006, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

AlexP
Trident
Trident

Post by AlexP »

Without wishing to offend anyone I must say I have to agree with VEGAS on this. I was rather disappointed to see a fun thread spiral of in a different, argumentative direction but had felt it wasn’t really my place to make comment due to my current rookie/chipmunk status :redface: .

Alex

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I had a feeling it'd only be a matter of time before the stats came out along with 'Mine's bigger than yours' :roll:

I'd not entered 3 faves as it happens simply because I find it difficult to narrow down to just 3 but if I did, it would be because they're my fave's.. not because they were particularly ground-breaking in any way as that wasn't the point of the thread was it!! :wink:

Nowt wrong with being a Chippie Alex.. especially one with a big banger strapped underneath!! :lol: As far as adding your twopennyworth is concerned, it matters not if you're a Chippie or a Concorde mate.. everyone has to start somewhere :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Just to lighten up the thread a little.....

I like the Fokker 100 it's great but only in EU Jet livery its true they can go supersonic i've seen it whoosh i love you dave.

:shock: :wink:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah.. EUJet. I always proclaim BEA RS as being my fave livery of all time but there has to be a place in your heart for EUJet :kissu: Pity we didn't consider that for the VA fleet!! :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Ah EU Jet

The only airline to operate Fokker 70's with an entrance door in the cockpit........ :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Garry Russell wrote:an entrance door in the cockpit........
How would you else enter the cockpit? (unless it's a fighter of course...)

:smile:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Dan, presumably you werent around when former member "JAB" repainted a Fokker 70 by applying the Fokker 100 textures to it (or vice versa?) and ended up with a door frame round the cockpit windows :doh: :lol:

JAB was a slightly odd kid with a fascination with EUJet, an LCC who operated Fokker regional jets from Manston Middle-of-nowhere Intl. Airport to destinations in Europe.

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

I sure were :smile:

And I got the point the first time, just couldn't resist this little gimmick...
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?