Went for a little explore earlier (56k sorry)

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by VC10 »

What surprises me is all the glass in those buildings looked intact
If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Very eerie, I love old buildings. A few years ago I looked around an old abandoned psychiatric hospital just before it was knocked down. It was like a time capsule, with calanders still set on the day everyone left, keys hanging up and post still on office tables. Really spooky but fascinating at the same time.

Does anyboy know if there are any web sites dedicated to abandoned buildings?
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

AlexP
Trident
Trident

Post by AlexP »

Wow, those are some great pictures. It’s interesting and a little sad to see how Newton looks today. I was lucky enough to fly out of Newton whilst I was with the Air Training Corp (doubly lucky as whilst I was with the ATC the Chipmunk was being fazed out :crying: and replaced with the Bulldog so I was able to fly both types!! :smile: ).

I seem to remember that Newton had a Hunter as it’s Gate Guardian. Does anyone know which one it was and if it safely made it to a museum or whether it succumbed to the scrapman.

Alex

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk wrote:Previously beautifully presented against a huge wall painting showing Hunters in action, Caernarfon Air World's Hunter F.1 is WT694, but unfortunately she's now been moved and shoved up next to a Vampire and assorted bits and pieces, making a clear photo impossible. She is in excellent condition though the cockpit is not quite complete and one main oleo has drained, leaving her lopsided. She was previously the gate guard at RAF Debden from 1969 until 1973, when she moved to become the gate guard at RAF Newton before disposal and eventual display - thankfully undercover - at Caernarfon.
:wink:

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

thehappyotter wrote:
It's amazing that they landed a Vulcan there, tiny grass runways were not designed for that kind of thing surely...
I think it was Roly Beaumont flying, but they did the same with a Vulcan at Halton on its' tiny grass runways too :shock:

http://www.avrovulcan.org.uk/misc/898_halton.htm

ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

These are mainly for Alan as it's the area around where he lived when training there.

Sorry the quality is not better but it was raining and I was soaking already so I stayed to the concrete areas...

The first 5 are of your block and the rest the Parade Square area which has been randomly dug up in the middle.

Photo 8 is the back of the training block pictured in the first set, is that where you had classroom based lessons?

10 is up towards the Mess building.

AlexP
Trident
Trident

Post by AlexP »

Toby, Thanks for the info regarding Newton's gate guard WT694 and for the rapid response. It’s good to know she’s still in one piece. :smile:

I’ve found this and the other recent threads on ‘Urban Exploring’ to be very interesting and have really struck a chord with me. So much so I’m quite tempted take my camera and have a wander around my own ‘local’ deserted RAF Base, Swinderby. The domestic site in no longer there having been redeveloped but the airfield itself, the control tower, hangars and technical building are all still present.

Here’s another challenge for Toby or indeed anyone else in the know. What became of the Vampire T11 that Swinderby had as its gate guardian? :think:

Alex

Tom Everitt AFG
Victor
Victor

Post by Tom Everitt AFG »

The Vampire at Swinderby was XD506 and is now in storage with the Jet Age Museum.

Tom.

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

We had different lessons in different hangars,i.e work shops for practical hands on,and some times on the aircraft,doing fault finding and the like in the hangars,some of the pics,seam to show some new bits,that must have been done after i had finished my course,if i remember correctly,it was about jan 71.
one of the hangars was used as a gym,sports was compulsary every week.
Shame its been allowed to get so run down,after all the gov funding of bases like this.
I also remember,when one of our lot was so drunk,that some of the lads,carried him down stairs,still snoring in is bed,and placed it in front of the flag pole,during the winter,which is where he still was,fast asleep,when we formed up on our daily morning parade,the swo was not amused,but the rest of us found it funny,but we did`nt dare laugh.
alan.