How far will Flynet go with induced failures??

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

How far will Flynet go with induced failures??

Post by DaveB »

Hi John,

Do you happen to know to what extent FlyNET failures will go?? As you know, I bugged out of a flight yesterday while on finals at Manchester with a main gear failure :shock: I was beta testing a new panel version which had thrown up a few oddities along the way so my presumption was that the problem was with the panel. As it happens, I'd got two cabfiles loaded (the old one and the new one.. albeit in different locations) and removing the old one cured the problem immediately.
However, as a practical demonstration.. I put back the old cab to its original location this morning and while a couple of the oddities returned, I had no problem with the main gear.. either extending or retracting. Is it really possible that FlyNET will induce a main gear failure as this seems to be the only logical explanation at present??? :think:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well..

Nice to see such an overwhelming response. Perhaps I've got a roundel painted to the side of my Viscounts as I've just had an engine failure enroute to Southend. Checked the company % and we're at 116 :roll:

I look forward to more fun and games with the latest client!! :-$

ATB

ImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Actually I have never heard of a landing gear failure caused by flynet. I think the cause must be elsewhere.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry, I did mean to reply sooner but didn't have the answer. Having just spoken to Konny, the possible failures that the Client may throw at you are engine, flap or gear failure. These are the only failures currently implemented in the current 0.5.9b Client Prog.

Rgds

John

P.S. Try using a different texture set and you might go un-noticed. Anyone know of any Viscount camo' repaints for Dave? :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I should be amused I suppose but forgive me if I'm not! :smile:

What are we supposed to do with a gear failure then.. die, crash or what??

Having just done my first flight with the new client, I got a page saying my report couldn't be sent though when I clicked ok.. the client ended the flight :roll: Whether I lost the client at some point I don't know but I'm not entirely happy at the 164fpm landing it recorded. Such is life. HK's going in for a refurb anyway so no harm done.

[edit] Further to my last, I see it DIDN'T complete the flight.. I'm still at Southend!! :curse:

A further edit.......
The new pirep report function appears to work okey dokey as I followed the instructions on my screen and was instantly at Jersey!!

ATB

ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

What are we supposed to do with a gear failure then.. die, crash or what??
Or pump... vigirously to get the gear down :lol:

I've just tried the new client and set my ini file so as it would update... just to try... and guess what... The client hung midway through the flight. Think I'll set it back to no updates. :wink:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

You can pump all you want mate!

Has anyone other than me noticed that the new Client isn't shutting the engines down at the start of a flight??

ImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Dave, when it shuts down one of my engines, its usually during my initial climb. A failure in the landing gear is just plain nasty, most likely I would not notice and end up crashing. If I did notice I would probably just kill the client and do the flight again.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

TBH dave, the old one never shut my engines down! :-$ Not that I was complaining. Theres a newish version of FSUIPC too, might be worth getting that. :wink:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well.. looks like we're all seeing a mixed bag.

Joe.. I'd never heard of Ctrl G before to get the gear down and I wasn't totally sure if it wasn't something caused by the beta panel I was using so I bugged out. There WAS a conflict on the beta panel I was using caused by an old cabfile being left in situ but I'm pretty sure this wasn't the cause of the gear failure as I've tried to replicate it since and it won't happen. One LOW landing will keep you keen looking for 3 greens mate.. I had one a few weeks back in the Dove and was too low to lower the gear!! :shock: Sort of gives you a poke in the eye :lol: I didn't crash btw or bug out.. just banged the throttles open and gently pulled up for another run :wink:

An engine failure or a flap failure is one thing but I DO think a main gear failure sucks BIG TIME. What the hell is Konny thinking about here?? :roll:

Ben.. with the last client, all my flights started with engines stopped so I'm quite used to it :smile: However, with the new client (and in the Viscount particularly).. when you start the client and load up with fuel, on reopening the sim, engines 1 and 4 are winding down BUT 2 and 3 are still running. The reason for 1 and 4 shutting down is due to the inter engine cocks not being open (by default) and likewise, the outboard fuel pumps being open. I am pretty sure that IF I open the cocks and shut the outboard pumps down prior to starting the client.. all engines will be running after I've gassed up!! I'm not knocking it at all but I'd sooner have to flash up from cold than encounter a main gear failure! :-$

Perhaps the very latest version of FSUIPC would have all engines shutting down again but as you've not seen this anyway.. perhaps it won't!! I'm always of the mind.. if it aint broke, don't fix it :wink:

I dunno about you guys but having experienced two such disasters in less than a week, I really do hope that induced failures have not been 'turned up' any. If this is making the experience 'more realistic', I'm starting to lose interest :k:

ATB

ImageImage