Aeroplane Heaven Lanc

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Brian Franklin wrote:Toby,

Sorry for the late reply, only just read this thread. Yes apologies, TSR-2 was indeed to have been my next release. However I was producing it in FSDS2 and had almost completed the project when FSDS3 burst onto the scene.

Obviously FSDS3/XML would allow a much more capable model and VC to be produced so I set about converting the '2 the FSDS3. Suffice to say I hit upon one major problem which until resolved put the release date back (indeed out-of-site-altogether).

I took the decision to jump Wessex to the front of the queue and having now solved the TSR-2 problem will return the that next (honest!).

About having so many projects on the go..... guilty! I will freely admit that I can get bored easily and look for temporary diversions, so yes I do keep other projects ticking over in the background.

Handbags at dawn? I don't think so, seriously though it's nice to be thought of as competition for such a fine model.

Brian
Hi Brian,

Sorry for takingn so equally long to spot your reply :lol: . Yeah I remember you saying something about an FSDS3 prob, glad you've worked it out. I am equally guilty about projects. I have promised a lot of airfields and havent got many released yet. Looking forward to the TSR.2 though, I'm not a great military man, but that was a rather exceptional plane :wink:

Re the Mossie, I dont think Del had spotted whos it was when first posted that screenie. I know certain designers would be pleased with it in its current state and release it like that (mentioning no names :-# ). I know when/if you do complete it, it'll be to your usual standard and worth waiting for :wink:

regards

Toby

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Mosquito engines

Post by hobby »

I have in front of me the 'Pilots Notes' for the Mosquito Mks FBVI, FBXVIII & FB26 with Merlin 21, 23 or 25 engines.

Nowhere in these notes is there any indication the the engines were 'handed.'

In the 'Check List for take-off' the rudder trim tab must be trimmed slightly right.

In the paragragh dealing with 'take-off' the first statement begins 'there is a slight tendency to swing to portwhich can be checked by opening the port throttle slightly ahead.

Later in the notes there is the charming heading in bold type 'Mislanding' the following instructions deal succinctly with a 'Go Round.'

So it would appear that both engines rotated in the same direction on the above mks of aircraft.

Another DH design, DH99, and another the DH101 was to have been powered by contra-rotating Sabre engines but this was not proceeded with because the Sabre engines were not to be made available. A Griffon engined design was considered but dropped because 'it would not produce a fast enough aircraft.'

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Just checked Jane's and all the photos of Mosquitos show similar handed props on both engines (i.e. both rotating, in this case, counterclockwise). Nothing to say there were different engines on either wing except for one model (a Night fighter I think) where a slightly more powerful one was used on one side to drive additional equipment.

CavOk
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by CavOk »

I must say my initial enthusiasm for this product (download version) has waned somewhat because I find the key board fiddling required to change views in order to carry out basic functions e.g. opening the bomb doors too frustrating. The danger is less sophisticated FS users will be put off for good.
I acknowledge the quality of some of the modelling but a lot of the textures are below par i.e. the RAF markings are far too bright for WWII. Dull red really was a very dull red. Also I find the download version of the manual misleading in that it tells me the manual for the mosquito is at the rear but I can't one anywhere.
Other people have picked up on some of the other errors in this forum and else where so I wont repeat them. The FDEs seem ok to me and all the models handle well. The Mk II has a peculiar animation assigned to the tail hook that looks like the forward bomb door actuators but they don't actually move the doors, they just slide in and out. Of course we are all thankful for the mossie although the sounds are disappointing.
Anyway I shall continue trying out the models and by the way the Grand Slam weighs 22000 lbs not 12000lbs as reported in the cfg file and why are all the aircraft acknowledged by air traffic as POV?
In summary it’s still worth the money but there are areas that shout "rush job" and what could have been the definitive Lancaster sadly missed the mark.

FLYINGART
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by FLYINGART »

Hi all,

This thread gave me the excuse to watch 633 squadron and Mosquito squadron again so many thanks :dance:
Was watching the shutdown sequence of one of the Mossie's and as Toby stated the are rotating counterclockwise.

Regards

Andy

http://www.flyingart.co.uk

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

FLYINGART wrote: This thread gave me the excuse to watch 633 squadron and Mosquito squadron again so many thanks :dance:
Criminal film... The main reason we're only left with virtual flying Mossies... :crying: :-({|= :crying:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

What happened exactly? I know that during the filming of "Battle of Britain" in the late 60s the production company deliberately and without permission blew up the sole single bay Belfast truss hangar at Duxford, so I am assuming "633 Sqn" w/off a Mossie or two in filming?

Ed Walters
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Ed Walters »

They deliberately set fire to at least one aircraft, possibly two...

They also chopped up at least one airframe for camera access - possibly more.

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Ed Walters wrote:They deliberately set fire to at least one aircraft, possibly two...

They also chopped up at least one airframe for camera access - possibly more.
Putting the gear up whilst fast taxying...

All those healthy things...

The full details are in Ken Ellis' excellent Rex & Relix (Wreck and Wrelics) Album, which at the mo is in t'other room... I'll find it later... :smile:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

simtrac
Meteor
Meteor

Post by simtrac »

Just posted my findings re the Lanc on the Just Flight forums.
Simon