Why?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Seems amazing that the VC10 is one of the few RAF types that have never crashed - God forbid it should happen of course. It will be great to think that it got through 40-odd years of service without a single loss.

Even in the civil world only a couple were lost, and they were both due to human error IIRC.

What other types of Aircraft haven't suffered a single crash? The Belfast is another, though there were only Ten of them. Anymore?

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Sorry Tonks! I didn't mean to be ominus! :worried:

Do you think Vickers knew a thing or two about safety that others didn't, or is it just that RAF engineers are the best? :think:

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Tonks wrote:But a fire on board scares the willies out of me, it really does!
It's interesting (but logical) that you should say that, Tonks. Has it always been that way for you or has it become so more recently? The reason I ask, is that a few years ago most civil pilots said that turbulence/weather was what worried them most. But in my last few years at BA, fire-fighting came more to the fore in our annual safety refresher.

I remember being told this sobering fact that had been gleaned from analysis of in-flight fires over several years:

Statistically, if an onboard fire is not extinguished within two minutes it will not be possible to extinguish it. In which case, if the aircraft has not landed within 15 minutes it is statistically unlikely to do so safely.

Consequently, BA's firefighting drill was/is quite straightforward. The person who discovers the fire fights it immediately, calling for backup at the same time. There is just no time for anything else. The focus seemed to change after the Swissair accident.

Tonks, I would be interested if in your career you have seen a similar change of focus towards fire in the RAF, as perhaps other aspects of flying become relatively safer.

Ian

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Thanks for your thoughts, Tonks. As you say, there's little you can do about it except try and put it out and in such an enclosed environment it will spread rapidly. Even if it's a smoulder, the smoke can cause as much of a problem. From the pilot's point of view you have to leave the firefighting to someone else and hope they are doing a good job while you drop to the floor asap.

It's very sobering. We sometimes get relaxed about the apparent safety of modern flying, but some dangers are as real as ever. I am sorry for the loss of your colleagues and wish you safe flying.

Ian

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

On a sort of plus note

The Nmrod was grounded earlier this week for saftey checks....minor but precautionary.

The first one returned to service yesterday..........I saw it as well

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Flypast today:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/5329986.stm
(Link to video on this link)

Garry Russell