new stick by Saitek

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Dave, there are several other Precision-Pro style sticks out there where the throttle is on the side of the stick and not on the front (as it is with this "Aviator"). They also have more buttons and better ergonomics so that you're actually comfortable when flying a difficult approach instead of having to move your arm out of the way ever time you want to bank into the arm that is manipulating the throttle.

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

DaveB wrote:I'd go for a new stick tomorrow Chirs as my old M$ PrecisionProII isn't as good as it once was but you're hard pushed to find something of the same quality and simplicity these days. Buying a joystick has become the same as buying a mobile phone.. all I need one for is making the odd call every now and again yet all I can find are ones with 3G this and WiFi and X-megapixel cameras. What happened to simple quality :roll:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
In my experience the Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro (and their counterparts with force feedback and varying amounts of buttons) are on a par with the Microsoft sticks, and laid out in a similar fashion, if they do have a few less buttons. I purchased one after I returned my X-45 in digust and was very happy with it. Admittedly I have updgraded to a Cougar but the girlfriend still uses the Fox 2 Pro and it's still going strong after a lot of hard use.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for that guys. I had a CH Thrustmaster Pro some years ago when they were still made in the US and the build quality was superb. Very simple in operation, the main reason I got rid of it (the only reason really) was that it didn't have 3D/twist/rudder control so it went in favour of the first M$ Sidewinder. The Thrustmaster is probably the best made stick I've ever used and I'd consider another :wink:

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Town
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Town »

I don't think it is a replacement for the X52 (which is a fantastic stick). I think it is more for people who like to fly commercial long haul where the throttles are pretty much left alone. It it ugly though, the new Saitek rudder pedals look a lot better.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Town :smile:

Yup.. smacks of compromise and I think they've missed the point. Not too many longhaul pilots will find the 'illuminated rocket or missile fire button with safety cover' very useful. Could be handy for getting rid of unwanted AI on finals though! :lol:

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

simtrac
Meteor
Meteor

Post by simtrac »

I have a Thrustmaster Afterburner II whch I bought quite reasonably (can't remember how much - think it was 34 quid or so) when my ffpro gameport couldn't be connected to my mac.

I have to say I quite like it - it has a HOTAS style throttle that can be detached from the main stick and placed away to the left a-la Spitfire or Hunter. Also on the throttle is an optional rudder control, so when taxing, you only have to grasp the throttle (rudder uses left forefinger and second finger to control, whole hand on top of throttle lever) - if you don't like it this way, just flick a switch and use the normal twist grip on the main stick.
Simon

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Shame it also comes with Saitek patented joystick car suspension spring at the base of the stick... :roll: :smile:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

simtrac
Meteor
Meteor

Post by simtrac »

Yeah - there IS that, but I personally find it better than the ffpro because I never actually used the force feedback with that and it meant that my main controls were always, er, slack, as it were. I only ever used the force feedback to see if I could trim by feel as you can in real life (and I'm only talking 172's and Robins here), but it only worked to a point ...
Simon

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Dyl Roberts wrote:I think I'll be hanging on to My X52!!
You and me both, Dyl. :smile:

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »

I'm sticking with my x52, although I've no idea why saitek decided that we should all fly in the R/H seat as first officers, after a lifetime of having a right hand full of throttles, it's bloody hard to change sides!.
Maybe they will learn something this time!! :poke:
Robbie.