Calling Andrew P..

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Calling Andrew P..

Post by DaveB »

Hi Andrew,

What happened on your flight LHR to Manchester matey?? Not a ticking off by any means.. just curious to know why you landed at Northolt :think:

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hmmmmmm

That's been done for real

:lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:shock: :think:

ImageImage

andrew
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

VC10 at Northolt

Post by andrew »

Well, it's like this...having joined and enjoyed the Dove and obtained a pretty good rating, I asked for the 10s and went through the basic steps on refuelling as per the Dove i.e. just accepting the fuel I was given. As I reached the V2 ref on the take off roll, I lost one and then all the engines; I spotted Northolt, retracted flaps and pitched down to maintain speed, and have to say I was rather chuffed with the landing with full flaps extended at the last minute with the gear, landing at the correct threshold speed. But then the bad news, losing the airline money by landing at the wrong airfield, and I am on the point of resigning as I don't want to let you chaps down!

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Andrew,

No need for such drastic action. I've sent you a message through FlyNET. Myself and your fellow VA pilots are here to help and support each other with the finer points of operating the different aircraft types. Some are more expert at certain types than others as we all have our favourite ride. Feel free to ask away any question you may have - someone will have the answer I'm sure.

Rgds

John

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

The VC10 should come with a health warning for that trip.
It's got a nasty trick up its sleeve because it will start losing engines due to lack of fuel with about 2100kg of fuel still on board.
So even though the expected fuel burn for that trip is about 3200kg, you need to be loading at least 6000kg or you're in danger.
2100kg on the VC10 just makes the tanks damp.

I ran out of fuel first time I took the VC10 from Heathrow - Manchester.
I cheated though. Bailed out & crashed FS. :worried:
Don't know if the others frown on such behaviour, but if you cheat like that FlyNet will set you back to start the flight again. :whistle:

Well done on the emergency landing by the way. Very impressed. :thumbsup:

DM
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Andrew,

There you go mate.. a simple if not scary answer to your problem (Tks DM) :wink:

It's been many a blue moon since I flew the VC10 but seem to remember (don't trust my memory because it's proving to be less reliable as the days go by) a cautionary 4000kg as being the minimum without running the risk of exposing the pumps to fresh air (ok.. not so fresh air).. especially under circumstances where you might need to go around.

Anyway, that's by the by!! Hopefully, armed with DM's advice.. you'll be able to avoid the VC10's dark secret. Well done for getting the old girl down in one piece (especially with engines dying all around you) and don't worry about it :wink: I was keen to know what had happened and under the circumstances, you did a fine job :rock: If it's any consolation, I didn't realise the 10 would start losing engines with 2100kg remaining (the model that is) so I could have ended up in the same situation :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I think if it wasn't for things like this it would soon get boring.

Great credit for putting a Ten down in one piece deadstick :clap:

I can barely do it with four turning :worried:

Garry
Garry

andrew
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by andrew »

Well, I have to say that I am rather pleased this happened now with such kind and reassuring messages from you all, and it spurs me on! The only other thing I fear is that old problem with the sound card - I have read and acted on all the threads on this, but very occasionally still have to fly with sound switched off, which concentrates the mind hugely.

Thanks also for the kind words on the landing - even had two reds and two whites all the way down! :roll:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Andrew

Aaron Swindle did a VC 10 soundpack

Have you tried that as not all files are affected by the sound card issue.

Garry
Garry