Latest Alphasim products.......

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Latest Alphasim products.......

Post by Trev Clark »

I have just spent an enjoyable few hours with the lastest offering from Phil and his merry men, the Gloster Javalin.

While it may not be 100% accurate (as possibly Real Air or PMDG products), it has made me think just how wondereful it is to have this kind of aircraft in MSFS. With 'good' freeware projects taken months and months of dedicated work, perhaps we should make an effort (or break the odd principle) to support companies like Alphasim, who are prepared to 'risk' less than record sales, to keep fans of the obscure (like us :wink: ) happy.

If we do not buy these more obscure British creations, (the cost is no more than a CD, with P and P, in many cases), we risk having an FSX with (outside the few truly brilliant freeware designers here and a few similar places) nothing but 'dull and rather dreary' current airframes, together with the odd US offering.

So, if you do not want the skys of FSX to be filled with Airbus and Boings or Cessnas, when a small payware company offers something like the Javalin or similar, why not push the boat out a little?

The Canberra by Alphasim is brilliant, but did not sell :sad: , if the Javalin is the same, perhaps they will not bother with like of the other missing links like the Scimitar, Sea Hawk, Sea Venom, Beverly (I wish :wink: ) etc.

Discuss..............................
ATB Trev

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Boa tarde Trev (Portuguese not Spanish)!! :lol:

Are we in the employ of Mr P matey or is this one of those melancholy 'glad to be living abroad but I miss home' moments :wink:

I couldn't agree with you more mate!! While I don't find everything the boys at Alphasim produce is to my personal taste, the only other thing on my HD to 'outsize' the Alpha models I have in terms of volume are Garry's Viscount liveries (and Alpha need to go some to catch him up)!! :lol: That said Trev, I'm not gonna buy it 'because it's there and failure to do so could mean no more Brit models' even though I've been guilty of 'buying because it's there' many times in the past. I loved my old Matchbox Jav and wish I'd still got it but I don't so may eventually crack :wink: My one brief glimpse/play with this latest and greatest didn't work for me but I'm sure there are many here who will do the dutiful thing and get it anyway. It's just not possible to please all of the people all of the time mate :wink:

Hat's off for Phil's continued support of these oldies even though that's really what Alphasim has always been about to my mind :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Town
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Town »

One of Skysim's main aims is to create some classic british aircraft from circa 1955 - through to mid 80's. They won't appeal to all but I think there will be enough buyers out there in the big wide world to cover the costs.

The only difference is I hope to ship any software Skysim publishes on CD/DVD because I like to buy solid things :dance:

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Buenos días senor Trev.

I understand your comments, and have purchased many an "obscure British creation" from Alphasim. I have to say I have refrained on this occasion as, for my purposes, the Javelin from Mr Stone is perfectly adequate; I won't go into more detail on the subject, as Michael Davies and I got quite heated last time!!

I don't want to rock the boat, but I think Alphasim do (occasionally) rely on that 'guilt' factor to make some sales. There have been enough comments on their forum about not announcing projects to stop certain ( :wink: ) freeware developers beating them to the punch; possibly they should have a think the other way as well, if there is a reasonable freeware model available, how many people will want a payware version - there are plenty of subjects out there that haven't been done yet!

Now, who had that tin hat last?

AndyG

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I quite agree, and must admit to splashing the odd tenner about every now and then at Alphasim... Nice functional models. :smile:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

The Canberra by Alphasim is brilliant, but did not sell , if the Javalin is the same, perhaps they will not bother with like of the other missing links like the Scimitar, Sea Hawk, Sea Venom, Beverly (I wish ) etc.
I think it depends on what is already available, there are some cracking Canberras about as freeware whereas the Javelin has not been done in as much detail as a freeware project.

Town
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Town »

I thinnk (from my limited experience) that some of the Alpha sim products don't sell simply because the majority of the market never see them. :dunno:

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Chris H wrote:
The Canberra by Alphasim is brilliant, but did not sell , if the Javalin is the same, perhaps they will not bother with like of the other missing links like the Scimitar, Sea Hawk, Sea Venom, Beverly (I wish ) etc.
I think it depends on what is already available, there are some cracking Canberras about as freeware whereas the Javelin has not been done in as much detail as a freeware project.
From memory, the AS Canberras came out ahead of Bill Holker's freeware Cranberries; the B-57 certainly did.

AndyG

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

AndyG wrote:
Chris H wrote:
From memory, the AS Canberras came out ahead of Bill Holker's freeware Cranberries; the B-57 certainly did.

AndyG
I'm sure I remember having Holker's cracking PR9 and another model before Alphasim released theirs.

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

You could be right Chris, at my age the memory starts to go. :wink:

AndyG