Help. FS degrading badly...

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

I would try what the other guys suggest re drivers etc, I would also remove FSX demo if you have it?? I have heard this causes problems with scenery areas in FS2004 ???
One other thing and this is unrelated, you mention Mesh :sicky: I hate these people witha passion after stealing my money for a troublesome system, customer service replace last word with dis-service... Not that helps you with this problem but it sure keeps my BP going :wink:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

so the frame rates start ok then get slower and slower as you go along?

sounds like overheating in that case, but i might have misunderstood :wink:

airbee
Meteor
Meteor

Post by airbee »

:smile: Tony, I do know what you mean about Mesh. Not awfully friendly, I have to admit. Sorry you had a prob.
I was lucky, mine was delivered on time with no system problems - so my interaction with HQ has been, thankfully minimal to date. On the other hand they do seem to have knack of getting a lot of performance per buck out of their rigs.
Overheating may well be an issue, Hinch. Anyways, I am half way thru the reformat. backed up everything and going to grind it out tomorrow. A chance to get rid of all the accumulated software gunge I suppose is the way to look at it. I'm going to stick the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner in the casing as well -get it all shipshape.
God I wish there was an easy way of doing this. All that reinstalling - ugh :sad:

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Overheating isn't the issue as it wouldn't slow the game down. You would experience graphical glitches or lockups if overheating were the problem.

Don't stick the hoover in there.... all that static charge will not do your PC any good at all. If you want to clean it, either buy a can of compressed air or do it on the cheap like I do and use a drinking straw and a lot of breath.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Charlie Bravo wrote:use a drinking straw and a lot of breath.
Will you be in-haling or ex-haling :think: :lol:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Inhaling of course, it's full of goodness :wink:
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

airbee
Meteor
Meteor

Post by airbee »

Yees. Thks for all that lads. :smile:
Whilst actually looking forward to a bit of a hoover I have now definitely decided to go with the straw - using a blowing technique!
2. Ok. Obviously not overheating. A real mystery this whole thing - which I now accept, so lets see what the reformat does. I'll report results - hopefully good!

airbee
Meteor
Meteor

Post by airbee »

Well, to round off the thread, I did say I would report back if things were resolved.
I had run, and do run a regular maintenance and security regime, consisting of the usual - Defrag; Regclean; Hijack; AVG; Pcpitstop virus scan; adaware and Spybot. Found nothing out of the ordinary.
But then ran http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ for the first time.
Horrors. It found - a keystroking prog; a Hacking prog - plus file changes to system32 and kernel32.dll!
Repaired and deleted. Sim pretty much came back to life again...
To make sure and to give myself a clean start, I've reformatted - things seem ok again.
Just shows..
Thks to all those who pitched in at the beginning - much appreciated!