FSX - Something to Consider

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr

Post by airboatr »

jonesey2k wrote:
It doesnt really matter what I think anyway because it wont change anything.
trust me it does mate
but if we settle for less , thats exactly what we'll get
BTW i type without anger here.
I believe we can change this but it will take a bit of perserverance.
ATB

Ed Walters
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Ed Walters »

If you think MS is going to be swayed by a small group of simmers boycotting the sim, you're sorely mistaken.

Sadly "hardcore" simmers aren't that large a group. I'd guess that GENEROUSLY speaking the number of online simmers is perhaps 10% of the owners of MS Flight Sim.

Most owners are people who buy it as an impulse purchase at Best Buy or PC World and will never see the vast online community that exists.

I'd say the best course of action is to send a message saying what you'd like to see in FS to "[email protected]". That's the way they are going to see what you like, and I'd bet it's a damn sight more likely to work than hoping that by not buying the sim it sends a message.

Whether you buy the sim or not makes no difference to me, but if you're so fed up with MS, tell them why and you never know, you might see a change for FS11.

Kimber
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kimber »

Sadly "hardcore" simmers aren't that large a group. I'd guess that GENEROUSLY speaking the number of online simmers is perhaps 10% of the owners of MS Flight Sim.

Most owners are people who buy it as an impulse purchase at Best Buy or PC World and will never see the vast online community that exists.
I think most copies end up in a drawer after a few weeks!! Then they
uninstall after a while and that is that!!

If half of the buyers used it, all forums would have a million members!!

The only numbers I could find, were for FS2000, 21,000,000 in 1999!!

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Ed Walters wrote:If you think MS is going to be swayed by a small group of simmers boycotting the sim, you're sorely mistaken.

I'd say the best course of action is to send a message saying what you'd like to see in FS to "[email protected]". That's the way they are going to see what you like, and I'd bet it's a damn sight more likely to work than hoping that by not buying the sim it sends a message.

Whether you buy the sim or not makes no difference to me, but if you're so fed up with MS, tell them why and you never know, you might see a change for FS11.
Ed,

Thanks for putting the point across a lot more eloquently than I managed earlier in the week. :smile:

AndyG

airboatr

Post by airboatr »

ohh,, ok ...I get it :doh:
consumers are idiots and they deserve to be ripped off
.......your right
thanks for the HU

Avant-Garde-Aclue

Post by Avant-Garde-Aclue »

"Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one"

Dyl Roberts
Trident
Trident

Post by Dyl Roberts »

jonesey2k wrote:Woah. I think we need to calm down a bit.

Ok we all have our opinions. I think FSX has good potential, but I also think it has issues. Im going to buy it but not use it as Im perfectly happy with my FS9 instalation for the time being. Nuff said. After all, some people are only just upgrading from FS2002!

I think its a bit stupid arguing over the points that have been listed and discussed before. Its allmost like the Airbus vs Boeing threads on Airliners.net :lol: If you dont like it then done use it and move on to something else instead of wasting minutes of your life bickering about it :)
Spot On Jonesey!

I'm sick & tired of the same people trying to get one over on each other.

If You hate it, Fine.....

If You think it's the bast thing since sliced bread, Fine....

But can we please not have any more FSX (Rant) threads??

It's VERY boring reading the same thing day after day, & before anyone says I don't have to read it, I won't rise up to that statement.

Just let's not have any more bickering. We All frequent these forums, let's make it as pleasant as possible :wink:

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

As long as new releases are not made exclusively for FSX, it does not matter to me....... too much. When that 'must have' add on becomes FSX only, then I think I will have to make a choice.

At present, I can break the habbit of a lifetime and not buy the new MSFS as soon as I see it, so much bad press from the 'real fans of FS' cannot all be hot air. Shame that the product does not seem to the leap forward that it's hardware requirements seem to imply.
ATB Trev

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Well, I got FSX earlier in the week, and after a bit of tweaking it runs quite well. :smile:

I found the textures were a bit memory hungry, so I replaced them with the ones from FS2004. Obviously, these had different names to the FSX ones, so I had to use the FS2004 scenery and mesh as well. Swapping out the cloud and autogen textures for their FS2004 counterparts helped too.
My system was struggling with the new aircraft with their fancy bump mapping etc, so I deleted these and used the FS2004 default aircraft instead.
Now with the sliders right down I can sometimes get the frame rates up to double figures in the less dense areas.

Here's a screenshot showing how it looks now. Smooth as a baby's bottom and looking better than ever. Click

Worth every penny :lol:
Dave G.

airboatr

Post by airboatr »

Ok fair enough ....
If criticism Of FSX is not something People want to read
then it would be equally fair for those who who choose not to
buy the latest MSFS to Not have to read complaints
from those who do. after knowing full well that FSX
is a candy coated rerelease of FS9 still using the same
graphics engine from FS2000

I certaintly am not going to spend money on something
I know full well I wouldn't use.

Maybe I'll re release the pet rock
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Pet+rock

Pet Rocks were a 1970s fad conceived by Los Gatos, California advertising executive Gary Dahl. The first Pet Rocks were ordinary gray pebbles bought at a builder's supply store and marketed as if they were live pets. The fad lasted only about six months, ending with the Christmas season in December 1975; but in its short run, the Pet Rock made Dahl a millionaire.