FSX - Something to Consider

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Reheat
Victor
Victor

Post by Reheat »

DaveG,

I'm pretty sure that was one of the versions I ran out and bought. Probably took just as long to install as FSX and I'm pretty sure I remember thinking "wow its so real!"

Alex

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Dave G

You want to knock out a bit more detail in those clouds to get your fps even further...perhaps as high as 12 :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

calypso
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by calypso »

Yep, try the simple cloud textures. :smile:
John

Ed Walters
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Ed Walters »

calypsos wrote:As long as new releases are not made exclusively for FSX, it does not matter to me....... too much. When that 'must have' add on becomes FSX only, then I think I will have to make a choice.
As a developer I don't see this time being too far off - maybe a year? I'm not sure.

FSX does have a lot of potential that FS9 doesn't have. SimConnect is a very important innovation that opens up a lot of the internal "gubbins" of FSX to allow developers to do things that weren't thought of when the sim was being developed.

Similarly, the mission system, while some people might think it game-like, will allow a lot of people to do things that wouldn't otherwise be possible.

As far as I'm concerned we'll support FS9 as long as we can, but there's going to be a stage where it's just not economical to have two parallel streams of development.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Ed,

Wouldn't it be amazing if you had to drop FSX development as uneconomical, and keep with FS9?

Not likely but, who knows?

-------------------------------------------------------------

And is this just add-ons that are likely to be different between FS9 and FSX?

Are aircraft for FSX going to be incompatible with FS9, or is it some things won't work?

I'm not using FS9 enough to justify to myself buying FSX. I've got enough aircraft and add-ons to keep me occupied for some time.

Ed Walters
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Ed Walters »

FS9 aircraft are generally compatible with FSX, but FSX models have a different format.

That would seem to suggest that it would be better to stick with FS9 format models, but FSX has some really useful animation features and material features that aren't available in FS9 format. Eg, on a warbird instead of the panel lines and rivets being painted on, they can actually be "bump mapped", so they will react to the light.

They might seem like minor changes, but it will allow some very impressive results.

Of course, it's always possible that we'd have to stay with FS9, but I suspect that we'd be out of business way before then!

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Dave a brilliant method of putting in humour I like it it :lol:
Now what the crunch is...and reading the last couple of posts confirms my worries... WE ARE going to get forced into FSX due to developers aiming towards that variant of FS. It will then do one of two things, split the FS community into FS9 or FSX lovers, with the results that it could destroy what we already have, ie:healthy development payware and free ware, or kill FS9 alltogether.
I recall FS98 days I was very much against FS2000 as we know now that it was poor and a brave but fruitless attempt to get it better. FS2K2 came along and put it right.
FSX is doing what FS2000 did to FS98... Only I fear it will have amore serious result.
I have read all the pro's and cons and again I will stay with FS9 until FSX is fully sorted....I think that will be for a few years yet :think:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Avant-Garde-Aclue

Post by Avant-Garde-Aclue »

I agree with Tony, After running FS98 for quite a while I moved straight onto FS2002 and then only got FS9 2 years ago. I will probably keep with FS9 for a couple of years more or so, as I feel there is a lot of life left in it. The investment in time and some money to get it running along as it is now is one of the reasons to keep it too. I think we can also be safe in the knowledge that we are not going to be abandoned overnight by freeware developers and repainters. I've read posts here and in other forums, and noticed a trend towards 'them and us' rivalry creeping in even at this early stage, which to my mind is a great pity. It reminds me of 'keeping up with the Jones's' and 'my computer's got a bigger engine than yours(I'll show you my CPU if you show me yours)'. Lets just see how things are in a years time.

Regards

Sean

Nurse!!!! time for my medication!

Angus
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Angus »

Boycotting FSX won't make FSXI any better than it otherwise will be - even if sufficient numbers of people participated to actually make a significant impact (which they won't), then the only effect of low sales would be MS ditching FS for good and never making another version.
"The wisest man is not the one who knows the most, but the one who realises he knows the least."

Angus

Kimber
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kimber »

What I've been doing for the past few days:

You have to read between the lines to figure why I posted this here!!