Big Flynet fault today

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Big Flynet fault today

Post by hobby »

I booked my flight CBFVA flight No 3510 Heathrow to Newcastle distance 218 Nm and printed out my briefing form.

I took off at 12:00noon having taxied from a Heathrow parking spot. Iran my simulation at '1' and using weather from the internet landed at Newcastle at 13:35 hrs, taxied in nad parked at Newcastle at 13:42 hrs.

I had to 'pause', for two minutes, during the flight to answer a real life telephone.

Imagine my surprise when having shut down all my FS programs Flynet informed me that I had landed at the wrong airport!! FlyNET program indicating that my Flight No. 3510 was from Heathrow to Heathrow(!!!) distance 218Nm!! No income - Pilot Rating 85%.

Can you please see that this flight is deleted from my logbook and Records at FlyNET or that I am credited with the flight for I did arrive at my intended destination.

I intended to fly the Haethrow - Newcastle flight - I did so and I did land at Newcastle, England.

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

VA flight Heathrow Newcastle today

Post by hobby »

Sorry Quantum, these emails should have been sent to the 'FlyNET problems page earlier today. My apologies.

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi James,

I take it you have sent an email then to FlyNET ?

Rgds

John

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

FlyNEt problem today

Post by hobby »

Hi John
No I did not send an email to FlyNET today.

I had assumed that all CBF VA communication with FlyNET should be through you as our CEO so that you are aware of the VA lpilot's problems and are not unintentionally 'lefyt out of the loop'.

I do not mind communicating directly with FlyNET if you would prefer me to do so, it is all a matter of establishing your preferred means of our VA pilots comunicating with FlyNET so that I can take the correct action in future.

Best wishes, James

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi James,

As long as the end result is achieved as required then any means is fine. If you rely on sending message to me and for whatever reason (rl issues etc) I don't get the message promptly you may get frustrated from a lack of response.

In this instance, I went to the Flynet statistics page for the CBFS then selected the info for your flight and copied the url. I then sent a PM to Konny through the FlyNET forum with a brief explanation and the url of your flight information so he doesn't have to hunt for it. This seems to have had a very quick response as he has already deleted your flight from the database.

Rgds

John

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

FlyNET problem today

Post by hobby »

Hi again John

Once again thank you. An excellent response from FlyNET. I shall resume VA flights later today, real life permitting.

I understand your point about possible delays in responding to a message personally so if I have any problems in future I intend to put up a notification on our VA Forum and then send an email to FlyNET with a copy to yourself.

Now off to do household chores!

Have a good weekend, James

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Re: Big Flynet fault today

Post by RAF_Quantum »

hobby wrote:
Imagine my surprise when having shut down all my FS programs Flynet informed me that I had landed at the wrong airport!!
Hi James,

I've been chatting to Konny re your flight. Did you wait for the client to compile it's report before you shutdown FS ? If you shutdown FS before the client logged the flight that may be the reason why your flight was logged as it was. The client only logs the co-ordinates at the start and end (Brakes on) for the prurposes of compiling the report. If you shutdown FS whilst the client was still gathering info it will only have one set of last known co-ordinates which would have been Heathrow. That's also probably why your fuel burn was only 1kg as the client just logs the start/end fuel.

Rgds

John

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

FlyNET problem today

Post by hobby »

Hi John

That is most interesting. Answer: I cannot recall whether I shut down FS before the client had time to finish.

I have found that on 'starting' my VA flights that I often have to release and re-apply the parking brake three or four times and at other times I am rolling on the apron in excess of 5kts having already released the parking brake before the welcome 'DING' of the FlyNET program start is heard.

I have also found that on my setup at the end of a flight I often have to apply the parking brake three or four times before the FlyNET 'DING' is heard signifying that my flight is over.

Having to apply the parking brake several times I put down to a FlyNET 'safety' procedure because with AI & MS-ATC on one sometimes is instructed to 'halt for the B737 etc. on the taxiway.' I can easily appreciate that a FlyNET pilot would need to apply the parking brake, perhps several times at a busy airport. In fact I thought that having to apply the parking brake several times at start and finish of a flight was quite sensible for it ensured that provision was made for the safe taxying within AI taxyway traffic at airports is possible.

I shall try to be more careful during program shutdown routines to avoid my own disappointment and frustration at the end of a VA flight.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi James,

What I do when a flight is complete and the 'ding' has been heard is REDUCE flightsim with the 'Windows Logo' key (in between LH Ctrl and Alt keys).. this effectively leaves the sim running.

I often have to apply the parking brake more than once too. Sometimes, I think it's down to the server being busy but as a precaution, I release the brake and move forward a couple more feet which usually does the trick :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi James.

After you start the FlyNET client and have hit the 'Fly Booked Flight' You won't hear a 'beep' until you start taxiing. I believe the client recognises you are taxiing when you get to 5kts. I have a dual monitor setup and when I hear the 'beep' the client status changes to taxi. I also get a beep when my wheels lift off the runway. I'm not sure if everyone hears these or not as it may be system dependant. At the start of your flight there is no need to stop/start taxiing as you have seen the client status change to boarding anyway, so you know it is running. At the end of your flight, just park up, put the brake on and wait for the 'ding'. DO NOT close Flight Sim until you have heard the 'ding'. You CAN minimise flight sim whilst you wait as it sometimes can take a few minutes to gather the data and try and transmit it to the website.

Rgds

John