Intercepting the Localiser

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Intercepting the Localiser

Post by speedbird591 »

I mentioned in a post on the CBFS forum that a recent update to the Tinmouse II 737-200 panel has somehow solved the problem of a clean localiser intercept. This has always been a shortcoming of FS9, but this is the first panel I've found that somehow gets round it. It's not easy to show in pics but this is a sequence of screenshots showing a tricky and late intercept using the autopilot and with the glide slope already engaged. The airport is Boeing Field, Seattle and the aircraft is the Erich Cantu/Kittyhawk model repainted by Philip Foglar. Notice Philip's six-point contact points on touchdown (each individual wheel).

Ian :smile:

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Extra contact points really don't help much. There's quite a few disadvantages to it actually (as has been proven by POSKY's "real contact" attempts). I like the dual-smoke source effects, but the flight dynamics calculate some stuff oddly when you have multiple contact points for a single landing gear bogie because of the way FS integrates the FD and visual Model in that area.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Much as I love this aircraft and panel, I have many problems with it.
Using version 1.0, the ASI does not operate.
With version 1.2, I cannot select any flap settings and only one thrust reverser deploys.
Having read the Tinmouse forum at Avsim, it appears that I need to purchase FSUIPC in order to get the problems fixed.
This seems a little odd in order to correct malfunctioning gauges that worked perfectly in a previous version (Flaps and thrust reversers in 1.0)
I'm currently downloading version 1.1, to see if this works.

Regards

Kevin

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Hi Kevin. The panel requires the latest version of FSUIPC but the free one will suffice - up to a point. Version 1 had a bug that did not recognise the free FSUIPC key and that caused the ASI problem. There were three quick patches which you may have missed. Version 1.1 includes them all and works fine with the free FSUIPC with no problems. This is the one to use if you do not have the pay FSUIPC. It includes the enhanced VOR/ILS lock.

Where it gets tricky is with the recent Version 1.2. In order to include an alternative flap operation and with a view to many future enhancements, v1.2 now needs the pay version of FSUIPC to program the flap operation to a button or key press although they will work by mouse click on the pedestal flap lever. Due to a lot of protests, there is now a v1.21 which includes mapping the flap operation to keys F6/F7 for those with the free program.

I happen to have the pay version of FSUIPC so I've programmed my flaps to joystick buttons but you have to be dedicated to set it up!

My recommendation would be to use bug free v1.1, which is still available on Avsim, and not bother with any further versions unless you buy FSUIPC.

(The thrust reversers and flaps will also not work correctly if you fail to switch on the hydraulic pumps on the OH panel.) Most of the a/c systems are modelled (including cabin pressurisation) and if you have not switched them on you will suffer failures :smile:

Ian

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

a tricky and late intercept using the autopilot and with the glide slope already engaged.
Good grief, Ian, you're not descending on the glidepath before you're established on the localiser are you? That's a highly dangerous practice - one that specifically banned by most airlines I believe! :shock:

You certainly wouldn't be allowed to do it at a UK airport as we no longer clear aircraft for an ILS approach. Aircraft are cleared to a suitable safe altitude and told to report established on the localiser. Only when they report established are they cleared to descend on the ILS.

Pete

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

PeteP wrote:Good grief, Ian, you're not descending on the glidepath before you're established on the localiser are you? That's a highly dangerous practice - one that specifically banned by most airlines I believe! :shock:
Purely for demonstration purposes, Pete! Just to show that the a/c could cope.

To make it look like I was a test pilot, I chose the Boeing house colours!

You won't report me to the virtual authorities, will you? I'd have to plead insanitary!:lol:

Ian

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

speedbird591 wrote:You won't report me to the virtual authorities, will you? I'd have to plead insanitary!:lol:
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your secret is safe with me Ian. :-#
Pete

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

speedbird591 wrote:
My recommendation would be to use bug free v1.1, which is still available on Avsim, and not bother with any further versions unless you buy FSUIPC.

Ian
Cheers Ian

V1.1 cures all but the thrust reverser problem.
I refuse to purchase FSUIPC, following a TV interview with Peter Dowson, where he stated that he would never charge for FSUIPC.

Regards

Kevin

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Kevin Farnell wrote:V1.1 cures all but the thrust reverser problem.
The only times this (only one reverser bucket deploying) has been mentioned on the support forum it has been because the hydraulic pumps have not been switched on. The 'B' pumps are off by default as they need to be switched on after engine start. Check this screenshot and make sure the generators and all four hydraulic pump switches are down. Also note that the panel settings have to be reset each time, even for a saved flight.
Unfortunately there is no manual yet although somebody is working on it. As it is very close to the real thing you could get info from here:
http://www.b737.org.uk. Although, personally I just switch everything on to be on the safe side :lol: I agree about not wanting to pay for FSUIPC just to be able to fly one aircraft, but provided you get the thrust reversers working in v1.1, you should get all the fun you need without further upgrades.

Ian

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

I am having very similar problems with this a/c, having tried both v1.1 and v1.2 . However, my major concern is the horizontal stabiliser trim which is so coarse that it is reminiscent of the default trimmers in FS98, making it virtually impossible to trim for level flight. Is this just my setup, or are others having the same problem?

Chris