drone project - interesting?

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hinch
VC10
VC10

drone project - interesting?

Post by hinch »

hey guys,

i watched a program last week on drones, r/c aircraft used by the military flown on little more than what most of us have.

flying an airliner with a kerboard, mouse and joystick may not be realistic, but flying a drone would be! it could be made using a modified 2D HUD (when in vc use the shift+1 combo to make it appear but also enabling you to look round - i think like a real one) and of course a pretty nifty model. since i've been bashing out various buildings with sketchup and gmax i thought i'd take it a step further. now i can make each part with appropriate names thanks to the SDK but i'd need to learn how to animate.

the question is, would this approach be interesting to anyone?

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

I think it would. A couple of people have done the Global Hawk and Predator UAVs that the USAF flies and they've gotten good download numbers. No one had done a decent "panel" for them though, the 2 I've seen are cobbled together jobs using Eric Marciano's hud and then the default gauges from FS for everything else. I think using pop-up panels for the various additional controls would be better and designing the panels to look like touch-screens or small computer displays would be better than what's been done currently.

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

'touch screen'

i like that! i'll investigate what's out now.