BAC1-11 510 A/P MANUAL

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

crisso
Viscount
Viscount

BAC1-11 510 A/P MANUAL

Post by crisso »

Due overseas business commitments, although installed on my computer, I haven't yet had time to fly the new 510 version. I note of course, the a/p is somewhat different but, the kneepad manual appropriate section appears to still deall with the same original a/p as for the 200/300/400/500 models. I tried flicking a few switches on the ground but, for example, couldn't ascertain how to engage the autothrottle.
Of course, when I get time later this week, will take the bird up for a few circuits at Stansted. However, in the meantime, just wondered if there was already any 'rough' or other guide to this new 510 a/p?

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Looks like we got us a manual reader!? :shock: :lol:

Hi crisso. No the manual hasn't been updated for the 510, so you won't find much help there.
It's no good trying much out on the ground, as there will be some automatic function cancelling going on because it is on the ground.
The 510 unit is fairly straight forward to operate, it will help if you know the Trident A/P but it's not essential.

'A/P Engage 1 & 2' acts as the A/P master switch in FS. The real 1-11 A/P master switch is lower down the pedestal & is welded ON so no need to bother with that.

Speed mode
Can be selected as either 'IAS' (adjusts pitch) or the default mode is 'Throt' (auto throttle).
Either mode is only active when speed 'Engage' is ON.
The target speed can be selected in the 'Select Speed' window above.
IAS mode is used for climb & descent. eg. select climb speed (300 kt) & set climb power (11800 RPM) - it will adjust your climb rate to keep the selected speed.

Height mode
Can be selected as either 'Acq' (acquire) or 'Lock'.
Either mode is only active when Height 'Engage' is ON.
The target height for 'Acq' can be selected in the 'Select Height' window above.
In 'Acq' mode you can adjust the vertical speed using the pitch 'Dn' 'Up' thumb wheel. The pitch wheel only works if no automatic pitch mode is active (like IAS).

HDG & NAV mode
'Az Master On' engages either HDG or NAV mode.
The three way switch (the sense switch), top left of the Compass on the main panel selects between HDG & NAV mode.
Sense switch 'UP' is NAV. sense switch right is HDG.

ILS
'G/P Auto' is the standard FS approach mode.
Once established on the glide slope you can optionally also engage 'Prime Land' for a fully automated landing. 'Glide Gearing' just cancels auto land mode.

Some of these modes automatically switch when certain conditions are met.
In particular, if you're using height 'Acq' it will switch to 'Lock' when the target height is reached. And if you were also on 'IAS' it will switch to 'Throt' at the same time.

Hope that helps
DM
ImageImage

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

bac1-11 510 a/p manual

Post by Tomliner »

Hi Crisso
I tried reading Dm's manual for the Trident which helped and then set about using it as trial and error,after all it's only pride that gets hurt.I see that DM has now replied which I am sure will clarify things.The BAC1-11 is definitely one of my favourite 'virtual' aircraft.Many thanks to DM.ATB EricT.
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

crisso
Viscount
Viscount

Post by crisso »

Thanks DM and Tomliner for your input/comments.

I have copied, pasted and printed the above section then, appended to my 1-11 checklist. (Fortunately, I am familiar with your excellent Trident Panel so hopefully the transition won't be too difficult).

Regarding the 1-11 510 autothrottle - was it primarily used for approach only, as per the Trident/VC10?