BFG 8800 GTS and HIPER 580W PSU

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

Ok CB whats your advise??? Do i stay and have the 7900 GTX delivered or go for the option of the major upgrade of 8800 GTS and PSU???

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Well it depends on how future proof you want the PC to be. The PSU in the PC at the min is probably a cheap one and will need to be replaced when you upgrade the machine.

However, you currently have an AMD setup and the best CPU's out at present are the Intel Core 2 Duo's meaning you would have to change the motherboard etc. I would therefore stick with AMD until you are ready for a full upgrade further down the line.

The options you have are:

1/ Change the PSU, CPU and graphics card but the card would be something like an X1950Pro for £130 leaving you with money to spend on a faster AMD X2 (sell the current one).

2/ Go with the 8800 card and a new PSU with the intention of getting a new CPU at a later date.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

Hmmm i think im going with number 2, its all down to cost and lengh of time over cost aswell, i just dont have the available £££ to spend in one go so it has to be done in steps. if anything screws up ill just bug PC world for new things or do what the asistant manager said, throw it outta window!!!

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

What about the new one PC world have got now, the PNY version is PNY any better or worse than BFG etc????

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Get the BFG card as BFG products have a lifetime warranty.

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

Ill have lifetime warenty anyway with my PC performance plan...... Everything brought from PC and installed is covered...

So PNY or BFG???

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Adding on the above comment, My BFG video card decided to kill itself one day. I contacted BFG to arrange an RMA and I had a new card in my system within 48 hours. :smile:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

Hmmmm yeah both cards are avil through PC world, hence why ill have them on cover plan, I would hazard a guess that if it does go upside down ill have to go through PC world........ I just wanted to know which is best etc....or worse and good/bad points..

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi,

Just a quick question for you technical guys out there. I've done a little bit of reading about the DX10 cards compared to the DX9's. As Rick says, nVidia and ATI give different looks to the same game, presumably due to the way the cards uses the shaders etc. Trying to read between the lines with the DX10 cards, won't they all have the same 'look' about them as they will all use the same shader? I'm probably talking a load of wostits but the impression I got was that there will be very little visual differences on screen between ATI and nVidia? I've also heard that the DX10 cards will consume a lot more power and will need at least 600w psu's?

Rgds

John

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Chris;

Get the BFG mate.... don't put to much faith in PC World and their warranty.

John;

Not too sure on that one although many people including myself say that ATI provide a better image quality. I have read however that the new Nvidia DX10 cards wipe the floor with the image quality.
Yep, they do seem to require a 600W+ PSU but don't go buying the cheapest as PSU's are all about quality and not numbers.

Sorry I can't expand on that any more.