Train Sim's

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

speedbird591 wrote:I think it's a Dolce et Gabbana loincloth, but I'm not sure.
Well of course it is...how stupid of me... :doh: :lol:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

I thought I was bonkers! :roll: :lol:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

I used to play with MSTS lots a while back. I even had the payware SVR Add-on (I enjoy visiting the real SVR in real life, you cant beat the all night gala's :smile: ) and loved it :smile:

However the sheer hassle of the add-on sites cause me to abandon it.
Ie You only have about 2 downloads a day and have to download at like 5kbps ect :roll:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

The Kuju sim is well along because it's mostly MSTS2. When MSTS2 was cancelled, M$ let both Train Artisan and Kuju leave with what had been done to that point. Train Artisan seems to have abandoned development and Kuju is plugging along.

Also to watch is TrainMatster Train Simulator. Right now it is only being developed for Commercial use (specifically Union Pacific RR in the US) but the so-called "hobby" version will be returned to after the big version is done as UPRR is paying for the development of both versions up front.

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Chris Trott wrote:The Kuju sim is well along because it's mostly MSTS2.
Ah! Thanks, Chris, that explains how they could afford to build a new sim from scratch. It looks as though it's going to be European with a predominantly British slant and although we are up to our necks in railway enthusiasts over here, I wondered how they would recoup the development costs.

Reading the background stories on the website, they've been researching some of the routes (i.e. the defunct Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway) on bicycles. The Paddington to Oxford HST route has the backing and assistance of First Great Western, the operating train company. So they're keeping the research costs low by keeping the sim fairly local.

That would leave the door open for the TrainMaster sim in the US, which Chris mentions. Again, with the development costs covered and as a spin-off from a professional simulator, this too looks promising.

But at the moment, there is nothing worth considering.

Ian

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Seriously though, no matter how good the GFX or realism may be, or indeed the quality and authenticity of the loco's is, isn't it just a tad boring? Image
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

VEGAS wrote:Seriously though, no matter how good the GFX or realism may be, or indeed the quality and authenticity of the loco's is, isn't it just a tad boring? Image
No, Eddie. It's TOTALLY boring :lol:

Ian

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vulcan_to_the_Sky! »

Ok....I'll admit it, my other "sim" is actually Microsoft Train Simulator.

With Patience, and some good addons, I quite enjoy using it (And no, Im NOT a trainspotter!!!)

Its about as stable as FS2000 on some days though!

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

The fun (for me at least) is the switching activities. It's a challenge when you have to really build your train in the yard by pulling out a lot of cars and switching the ones you need into your train and then going and switching the customers. You try to do it safely (i.e. don't derail) and quickly and then get back with the outbound train as fast as possible. The big thing for me is that it's a lot more hands-on than flying in FS most of the time where once you get to cruise, you just sit there and watch the AP fly the plane. In TS, it's rare to not have to be changing something because there's no automatic operation, and when pulling a large train, even a small hill can wreak havoc with your train's speed and it's ability to hold together.

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

You could of course switch off the AP.....just a thought.... :think:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?