Instaling a Gauge?

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ivanT3
Viscount
Viscount

Instaling a Gauge?

Post by ivanT3 »

Hi all,,

I have a cockpit that my Son really likes {737-800}. This is his favorite plane to fly so I down loaded a great cockpit for him. The only problem we are having is that there is no Turn coordinator. Normally, it seems these "half Glass" cockpits have a Ball at the bottom of the main attitude display. It's missing in this case and in the interest of showing him how to properly use Ruder, I would like to install one. It could either be a small Ball gauge at the bottom of the main display, or, it could be an "old school" 2-min/4-min turn coordinator.. There seems to be room and we don't really care whether or not it's Pretty when it's done.... Is there a way for a guy like me who knows very little {read nothing :think: } about designing/modifying a cockpit to "install" a turn coordinator?

Thanks, I hope I put this post in the right place.

Ivan.....................

If you're REALLY mad at a fella, walk a mile in his shoes. This way, your a mile away from him and you have his shoes!!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ivan :smile:

Yup.. this is the correct place to post a question of this type :wink:

There are programs out there (free.. if you can still get them) that will help with panel building but the free versions are becoming few and far between. I don't have a 737-800 on my system (as you'd expect) but if you send me a link for the panel.. I'll shoehorn it onto the M$ model and send you a revised panel.cfg. It's all to do with X and Y locations. Top LH will be 0, 0 to give you an idea though there is a little more to it than this :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

ivanT3
Viscount
Viscount

Post by ivanT3 »

Hi Dave,,

Wow,, Thanks so much. I'll look it up and PM you the link. Or I can simply edit/update this post.

In any case, it's nice of you to offer this. After all, one should coordinate ones turns :wink:

Thanks again.

Ivan....................

If you're REALLY mad at a fella, walk a mile in his shoes. This way, your a mile away from him and you have his shoes!!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

No prob Ivan. Let me know what the filename is and where you got it from.. I'll do the rest :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

ivanT3
Viscount
Viscount

Post by ivanT3 »

Well then,, it seems the tech crew at this Airport are quite good indeed :dance: ,, It works GREAT man.. Thanks load's. You put it in the perfect place too.. How can I record a screen shot for you?

Ivan.................................

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ivan :smile:

Glad your practical demonstration can go ahead using your son's current 'flavour of the day' :wink: To post a screenie, you either need your own webspace or get an account with someone like Photobucket which is free!!
Take the screenshot in the usual way (making sure it's no larger than 800x600 for here) then upload it to Photobucket. When done, post a link to the shot and we'll be able to see the shot. Photobucket is very easy to use and has plenty of online help. It will even display a link to your uploaded shot.. all very quick and painless :wink: Check them out at http://www.photobucket.com

ATB

ImageImage

ivanT3
Viscount
Viscount

Post by ivanT3 »

Thanks for the info Dave, here's a Not so good shot of the Dove. I'll get a shot of your slip turn too. It works great.

I'd like to know more about these files and how to work them. I know I'm opening a huge can of worms but it sure looks interesting to me. The idea of reworking a cockpit is sorta' cool.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well done T3.. and done with the minimum of fuss too :wink:

Have a look on Flightsim.com (otherwise known here as Allnodes!) at their 'Must Have Files' section and you may find a freeware program called CfgEdit. This is quite a bit out of date now and doesn't handle XML gauges too well (if at all) but it is the basis of the payware version FS Panel Studio. Download it.. have a look.. and see what you think. IF you think it worth it, then go for the payware version (available from Flight1.com).
You actually need a lot more knowledge of gauges and gauge construction than either of these programs offer but FSPS is the defacto so it's as good as it gets. :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

ivanT3
Viscount
Viscount

Post by ivanT3 »

Oh Yeah :dance: :dance:

Thanks again Dave.. What a funny thing to have in a 737 Cockpit :lol:

It works though and the boy is getting it.

Tom Clayton
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Tom Clayton »

I like the looks of that panel myself! Other than the turn coordinator, is this available on a public website?
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Moderator: Sim-Outhouse Forum
You can also find me on Facebook